POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Round_Box #macro (in shapes.inc) and negative values Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:31:09 EDT (-0400)
  Round_Box #macro (in shapes.inc) and negative values (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Felix Wiemann
Subject: Re: Round_Box #macro (in shapes.inc) and negative values
Date: 22 Apr 2002 08:48:08
Message: <tu01aa.722.ln@wiemann.my-fqdn.de>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> If you have code automatically generating such objects you can always
> catch those special situations yourself, just write a wrapper macro
> and usage would not be much more difficult.

Do you want to use a macro for 20000 objects (e.g. generated by a
modeller) ? That would be *really* slow.

Felix Wiemann

Post a reply to this message

From: Felix Wiemann
Date: 22 Apr 2002 08:48:09
Message: <k211aa.822.ln@wiemann.my-fqdn.de>
Fabien Mosen wrote:

> I guess that the degenerate triangle doesn't stop parsing because
> it would be a PITA to manually remove one or two triangles from
> a several thousand triangles externally generated mesh.  If an
> external utility generated a net of cylinders, for example, to
> represent a mesh as a wireframe, it would still be a PITA to
> catch the degenerate ones.  That's why POV-Ray should remove
> them with a simple warning, and not stop.

You're right, that's a good idea.

Felix Wiemann

Post a reply to this message

From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 22 Apr 2002 12:01:35
Message: <3CC433DE.2FEB8B6@gmx.de>
Felix Wiemann wrote:

> Do you want to use a macro for 20000 objects (e.g. generated by a
> modeller) ? That would be *really* slow.

The modeller should take care of this itself.

In fact i even think a box with two identical points should generate an
error or warning since it is not very clear if this results in no object
or a single point.  Equally it's not clear what to make of a cylinder with
identical end and base point (you could expect nothing, a point or a
sphere), just dropping it would be incorrect.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 20 Apr. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

>> Do you want to use a macro for 20000 objects (e.g. generated by a
>> modeller) ? That would be *really* slow.
>
> The modeller should take care of this itself.

And if the modeller doesn't? :)

> In fact i even think a box with two identical points should generate
> an error or warning since it is not very clear if this results in no
> object or a single point.

A single point, I think. But you're right, a warning would be a good
idea.

> Equally it's not clear what to make of a cylinder
> with identical end and base point (you could expect nothing, a point
> or a sphere), just dropping it would be incorrect.

I expect a disc. :)
Of course dropping would be incorrect, but I think that generating a
warning (so the user is noticed that something may go wrong) is a
better and more flexible solution than stopping with an error.

Felix Wiemann