POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Memory limit in 3.5 ? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  Memory limit in 3.5 ? (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: Re: Memory limit in 3.5 ?
Date: 1 Mar 2002 11:30:38
Message: <3C7FACAD.83510753@gmx.de>
Thomas wrote:

> > If you want to avoid the problem, your only solution is to get (access to) a
> > 64 bit system, that is any current Compaq Alpha, IBM Power, Sun Sparc, SGI
> > Mips or HP PA-RISC system and then recompile POV-Ray 3.1g for one of those (or
> > compatible systems).  Of course you can also wait for a final release of
> > POV-Ray 3.5 and compile its source code, but either way, a 32-bit processor is
> > simply not up to the data size you want to handle :-(
>
> Unfortunatly radiosity doesn't work on 64 bit systems the last time I tried it. :(
> Pov 3.1 compile under AIX)

I just tested megapov 0.7 on a SGI PowerChallenge and it worked (including
radiosity) with gcc after some experiments with the compiler options.

Numbers in text output were wrong and it crashed after the render but the
image was generated.

I don't know much about 64 bit systems, but 3.1 is used quite often on
them so i don't think there are serious problems.  3.5 will of course have
to be tested in that concern, but i think it is already proved to be
running some platforms.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,

> I just tested megapov 0.7 on a SGI PowerChallenge and it worked (including
> radiosity) with gcc after some experiments with the compiler options.
>
> Numbers in text output were wrong and it crashed after the render but the
> image was generated.
>
> I don't know much about 64 bit systems, but 3.1 is used quite often on
> them so i don't think there are serious problems.  3.5 will of course have
> to be tested in that concern, but i think it is already proved to be
> running some platforms.

Are you sure that you are running 64 bit? I've seen the weird numbers at the end as
well, sp probably you are. Maybe it has something to do with the size of pointers and
integers and stuff like that. As I understand that might be different on certain
platforms.

And as I said I tried pov 3.1 and not megapov and since there are changes in the
radiosity that might account for the difference as well.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> Are you sure that you are running 64 bit?

  This is a good question because at least when compiling for Sparc, gcc
does not support generating 64-bit code, but only 32-bit.
  The only compiler I know which can make 64-bit code for Sparc is the
Sun cc compiler.