POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Known Bugs 21 Jan 2002 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:16:20 EDT (-0400)
  Known Bugs 21 Jan 2002 (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Mike Williams
Subject: Known Bugs 21 Jan 2002
Date: 21 Jan 2002 04:08:21
Message: <gskelowpfjwzjfnfjsj.povray.org@povray.org>
KNOWN BUGS

Re: trivial question on topic (job000038)
(Poly Object Bug: heart has a dark line of artifacts)
http://news.povray.org/3BEBEB4C.CA854309@pacbell.net

Highlight bug (job000137)
(highlights are sometimes visible where they should be in shadow)
http://news.povray.org/3bb4cf08@news.povray.org

Macro bug (job000146)
(POV can dereference a deallocated pointer if you return a local from a
macro.)
http://news.povray.org/3BB4ED11.8EC69CEC@hotmail.com
(also reported as: strings operations crash with both compiles
http://news.povray.org/e3piut8anmf4cli4pnfmstadgc3nleqvb2@4ax.com)

Radiosity sampling, with fix method (job000177)
(radiosity sample counter is reset to the start every time, sampling
artefacts are produced)
http://news.povray.org/3BC5A13E.9C022BD6@reading.ac.uk

Strange spline problem (job000181)
(Changes from render to render. Control points are sometimes missing.)
http://news.povray.org/Xns9136AC2E64F60seed7@povray.org

Spline bug (job000182)
(The spline path is all wrong when certain time values are used.)
http://news.povray.org/3bb41dc8@news.povray.org

Blob problem (job000189)
and Blob : Toward a solution
(blob surface develops holes when "radius" is very small)
and Possible bug with blobs
(blob surface develops holes when the traced ray starts close to its
surface)
http://news.povray.org/3b99052c@news.povray.org
http://news.povray.org/3B991C90.D715B7A3@free.fr
http://news.povray.org/3c407ad3$1@news.povray.org

Additional (?) blob bug (job000189)
(blob component disappears when radius is 317 or greater)
http://news.povray.org/Xns9115B92CF7D8ACQ@204.213.191.226
(also reported as: Blob rendering error (job000136))
http://news.povray.org/Xns91203DC7F3CCQ@204.213.191.226

Bug with blobs and media (job000189)
(possibly related to  blob surface develops holes when "radius" is very
small)
http://news.povray.org/3be5f0b2@news.povray.org

Blob component textures transformed twize (job000189)
http://news.povray.org/3bf70645@news.povray.org

Superellipsoid epsilon to big ? (job000190)
(strange dark patches occur on a superellipsoid when the east-west-
exponent is set very small)
http://news.povray.org/3b992a81@news.povray.org

Slow rendering when using +ua and antialiasing method 1 (job000191)
(No details available)
http://news.povray.org/3bbf6347@news.povray.org

Bug: dispersion_samples affects photon brightness (job000193)
(higher dispersion_samples also gives brighter refractive photons)
http://news.povray.org/MPG.1631c5fca936293298969e@news.povray.org

Another strange photon behavior (job000195)
(a: bright colored caustics. b: holes/circular black spots)
http://news.povray.org/MPG.16510f3e44067d3f9896ae@news.povray.org

panoramic projection bug? (job000196)
(When "angle" keyword within camera statement appears after "panoramic"
keyword then looks like ignored.)
http://news.povray.org/avnfut8fof5ualgf8hnrtpl1knlg8828sp@4ax.com

Light_sources in light_groups don't cast shadows (job000197)
(rendering without light buffers (-UL) puts the shadows back)
http://news.povray.org/3bfd4d63@news.povray.org

no_image, merge and shadows (job000198)
(setting no_image to an object in a merge causes that object to stop
casting shadows)
http://news.povray.org/vqfd0ucm5276q9j8sdh34afjliapc1kj0n@4ax.com

Re: triangle texture interpolation (job000199)
(the second texture is on the first point and the third texture is used
on the second and third points)
http://news.povray.org/3C0A8288.DDA0905B@free.fr

bug in sphere_sweep for removing parts of an object (job000200)
(discontinuous normals on inverse of sphere_sweep)
http://news.povray.org/3C1A5D47.EA38F6E5@amc.uva.nl

bug in sphere_sweep for removing parts of an object
(parameterised sphere_sweeps are very slow. May or may not be related to
job000176)
http://news.povray.org/3C1A5D47.EA38F6E5@amc.uva.nl

color dot operators (job000201)
((Color.red) doesn't work as a macro parameter)
http://news.povray.org/ofpr1ug9r6q3cak417pmj72bck6ufmgbtg@4ax.com

Bicubic patch triangles disappear (job000202)
(When the triangles are fairly small)
http://news.povray.org/3c23b26c@news.povray.org

Array assignment crash (job000203)
(It should overwrite the old array with the newly created, correct
array, but crashes)
http://news.povray.org/3bcc54ab$1@news.povray.org

Photon Problems (job000204)
(Rendering the file makes the image strangely bright)
http://news.povray.org/3bc4d0a9$1@news.povray.org

crash during debugging of parsing (job0205)
http://news.povray.org/332m2uspk9nfqfq6g7oc8qtmkcu5higjs7@4ax.com

crash with loop (job000205)
(infinite loop of "#local"s causes stack fault)
http://news.povray.org/3c2cb9b7@news.povray.org

#macro crush (job000206)
http://news.povray.org/3c2c78cf$1@news.povray.org

double_illuminate only works with direct lighting (job000207)
http://news.povray.org/3BF6F1FE.D21B0C6@oreka.com

Strange alpha channel bug
(assumed_gamma affects the transparency of shadowed areas)
http://news.povray.org/3c1168c5$1@news.povray.org

Slow render time after several runs
(when stopped during radiosity calculations and restarted)
http://news.povray.org/3bd40c6d$1@news.povray.org

Crash with no objects in scene
(Doesn't happen on most people's machines. Only crashes on my machine
when bounding_threshold=0)
http://news.povray.org/3bd985b0@news.povray.org
(also reported as http://news.povray.org/3C19B9EA.D2E16FBC@gmx.de)

problem with transparent image_maps
(Objects with transparent image_maps have "non-transparent" shadows)
http://news.povray.org/3c24d1b3@news.povray.org (cancelled)
http://news.povray.org/eGSwuBAritK8EwLH@econym.demon.co.uk

CSG difference with text
(Text objects appear to be very slightly tilted)
http://news.povray.org/3c304eaf@news.povray.org

Julia object bug (Michael McKnight)
(Looks rather like coincident surfaces)
http://news.povray.org/3839f08c@news.povray.org

Problem with #read
http://news.povray.org/3c33b55d@news.povray.org

tiff problems in reading (including crash, including [doc])
(beta9: LZW decompression fails. 4-bit scrambles the colours. 1-bit and
24-bit upside down. JPG decompression crashes)
http://news.povray.org/n96b3uk1ft7mvb991s3htjt14ekb7j8fn7@4ax.com

crash with some boxes /infinite boxes
http://news.povray.org/3c375d62$1@news.povray.org

#while crash..
http://news.povray.org/3c38646f@news.povray.org

Mapping warp and render window bugs
(Object lighting is calculated incorrectly when mapping warps are used
in normals and the object is rotated)
http://news.povray.org/Xns9190F27EBFE9Bcsbhccse@204.213.191.226

Mapping warp and render window bugs
(Maximizing the render window during a trace will occasionally leave a
partial line of the checkerboard background visible)
http://news.povray.org/Xns9190F27EBFE9Bcsbhccse@204.213.191.226

Small window title bug
(Title switches back to "POV-Ray for Windows" after minimize or
restore.)
http://news.povray.org/3ba92966$1@news.povray.org

Black outline in smooth meshes
(The outline of smooth meshes exhibit black dots or areas (which go away
with double_illuminate))
http://news.povray.org/3bf6794e$1@news.povray.org

Render Window Bug
(Render window pops up when application minimised, after which the
application doesn't open when clicked on the task bar.)
http://news.povray.org/3bde157e@news.povray.org

Povray main window disappears during rendering
(Possibly the same as the above)
http://news.povray.org/3c1350f4@news.povray.org

installer behaves strangely
(one would expect povray to install after pressing the "next" button and
not the "button")
http://news.povray.org/Xns916AE9B08012frankverlaathotmailc@204.213.191.2
26

Little render window bug?
(If either the width or the height of an image you're rendering is
bigger than the screen's size, then the sliders of the render windows
show in both (height and width) sizes and you can't see the full image
at once, even if one of the image_sizes is smaller than the screen)
http://news.povray.org/3c3746d6@news.povray.org

silly winpov bug
(Double clicking the title bar on some machines causes "text selection
not supported")
http://news.povray.org/3c3b7a3f@news.povray.org

non hollow flat disc
http://news.povray.org/mi9t3uophkvlv9hfah5uv7enn2pamhuvd7@4ax.com

crash inside two #while
(Possibly specific to Windows 2000)
http://news.povray.org/3c3f1f29$1@news.povray.org

bug : declared camera with normal statement crashes
(In b10 it no longer crashes, but it just errors)
http://news.povray.org/3C41A226.7030703@skynet.be

crash with photons, union, ior, lathe
(Intel compile only)
http://news.povray.org/vfra4u0ndv4rf951196881cpt842an4906@4ax.com

can't redefine identifier
(Parser fails to trap some attempts to illegally redefine functions)
http://news.povray.org/tis83ugh1kcc22h5o6is9qpkv61pjgunc0@4ax.com

Wrong highlighting in editor
(function_id)
http://news.povray.org/jfji3ug1faevn1jk3mlko64sb71ptmmn97%404ax.com

[Windows] Save As... with same filename doesn't work
http://news.povray.org/3c44497e$1@news.povray.org

max_trace_level affects radiosity recursion_limit
((beta 10) max_trace_level sets an upper bound on recursion_limit)
http://news.povray.org/3BE40295.6C3D54DE@engineer.com

Media visible container line in front of object
(a visible whitish line appears at the edge of a transparent container
box for media)
http://news.povray.org/3bf45a3d@news.povray.org

[win gui] line with error highlighted but render finished succesfully
http://news.povray.org/va2tvt4tuitd67ik5t9ps334sbg6205bt3@4ax.com

transform syntax
(transform {test_trans} sometimes requires {} and sometimes doesn't)
http://news.povray.org/3C09EE1B.A38DC91A@gmx.de

media & fog bug?
http://news.povray.org/3c1379e0$1@news.povray.org

Re: Mosaic... some clarifications
(#local A2=P(1,2,3).hf; fails)
http://news.povray.org/9n9j1uo0mdlrs4i5toupujr0pqrj4vvb8d@4ax.com

Re: hollow in light groups
http://news.povray.org/3c21172d$1@news.povray.org

Bug with transform syntax
http://news.povray.org/chrishuff-5FC1B7.19310427122001@netplex.aussie.or

Minor Windows annoyance
http://news.povray.org/3c2bec89@news.povray.org

Function declaration and namespace
(?)
http://news.povray.org/l2ji3uc2k9su99o2gct3n2thgqoq7f4pd5@4ax.com

splines - documentation and reality
(?)
http://news.povray.org/m7fq3u41ctia9e6i3tbnlstn6ek739vpke@4ax.com

Beta 10 bugs
(2.3 The inside_vector keyword is highlighted in the editor)
http://news.povray.org/Xns9197A5B08390CCQ@204.213.191.226

Mapping warp and render window bugs
(2. Maximizing the render window during a trace will occasionally leave
a partial line of the checkerboard background visible)
http://news.povray.org/Xns9190F27EBFE9Bcsbhccse@204.213.191.226

[win] "cpu time used" not works properly
(CPU time used not reported in stream when render completes normally.)
http://news.povray.org/llj84uk2findr74u9jpge6dlteqf19c70o@4ax.com

[Windows] Save As... with same filename doesn't work
http://news.povray.org/3c44497e$1@news.povray.org

[std include] hf_* macros doubts
http://news.povray.org/1dtd4ug8htn1ns9md3vp9i1mbcq5qf10sb@4ax.com

sin(X)^sin(X) -> crash! (job000179 and job000180)
http://news.povray.org/3baf7992@news.povray.org

another crash with max_intersections
http://news.povray.org/j8fo2u8mbo97gi3as0udmab7t9ttap2iom@4ax.com

Partial render memory leak
http://news.povray.org/3C47228A.D7680441@twoalpha.net

Axis_Rotate_Trans
(doesn't work with Axis = <-1, 1, -1>)
http://news.povray.org/3c47c315@news.povray.org

Re: IsoCacti.pov
(Falls foul of b10 camera syntax changes)
http://news.povray.org/1$sqAKA8LkR8Ewk5@econym.demon.co.uk

Insertmenu rerender - some strange scenes
(Fall foul of b10 camera syntax changes)
http://news.povray.org/3c492689@news.povray.org

continue trace fails with pngs
http://news.povray.org/3c487cf8@news.povray.org

Doc in Apple Help Viewer
(The POV-Ray documentation isn't listed in the "Help Center")
http://news.povray.org/B86F3A84.2A31%cwa### [at] gmxch

radiosity problem
http://news.povray.org/3c49968f@news.povray.org

blob casting incorrect shadows on itself
http://news.povray.org/Xns919C1CAA3E23Egerovandordatanethu@204.213.191.2
26

        FIXED IN BETA 10

Delayed syntax checking (job000192)
(declare without the "#" can cause a much later line to fail to parse
Parser will ignore the first token following old-style declares without
a #.)
http://news.povray.org/AM3LOAABMO27EwFh@econym.demon.co.uk

Jpeg and memory problem during animations (job000194)
(It seems that some memory is not properly released between frames when
a jpeg file is used)
http://news.povray.org/3be2ef0d@news.povray.org

[bug] orthographic camera bug? (job000208)
(objects sometimes disappear when the orthographic camera is used)
http://news.povray.org/3bdca5eb@news.povray.org

Isosurface : 2 bugs
(int() causes crash)
http://news.povray.org/3c082dbe@news.povray.org

Function (optimization?) bug
('funciton{-y/1/2}' should be same as 'function{-y/1/(2)}')
http://news.povray.org/3c27fd29$1@news.povray.org

IsoCacti.pov
(displays 754 evaluate warnings, most with incorrect values)
http://news.povray.org/3c08c36c$1@news.povray.org

VRand_in_Obj function - syntax error
(Stream value should be last, rather than first)
http://news.povray.org/3bc423e5@news.povray.org

User_Abort_Command
(User_Abort_Command does not seem to work at all)
http://news.povray.org/Xns913D9F7268736seed7@povray.org

Re: Known Bugs 24 Dec 2001 (beta 9)
(garbage text in Mac message window)
http://news.povray.org/3C2A7123.E923B0B4@spiritone.com

Linux commandline
(-help causes loop)
http://news.povray.org/3c3edf08@news.povray.org

light_group+media bug
http://news.povray.org/MPG.160834111f191173989688@news.povray.org

Strange Sphere_Sweep bounding boxes
(bounding box always includes point <0,0,0>)
http://news.povray.org/3bcbcbb7$1@news.povray.org

Little bug in the editor?
(can get confused about whether the file is saved)
http://news.povray.org/3a1e2559@news.povray.org

Keep Single Instance (always does, no matter setting) FIXED
http://news.povray.org/3c0b0881$1@news.povray.org

        FIXED IN NEXT BETA

Camera is off by half a pixel (job000209)
http://news.povray.org/3bccc696@news.povray.org
(possibly the same as: the lowest pixel getting dimmed)
http://news.povray.org/3c23cd13@news.povray.org

How to Unexpire POV Ray Beta
(Beta expiry code is insufficiently secure)
http://news.povray.org/3c453246@news.povray.org

--
Mike Williams