POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Re: Colour of highlights Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:30:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Colour of highlights (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: Re: Colour of highlights
Date: 16 Jan 2002 12:51:59
Message: <3C45BDBE.D1737EA1@gmx.de>
Hugo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> According to the docs, it is possible to control the colour of highlights by
> using the "metallic" keyword. Reflection and highlight should then be
> affected by the reflection <colour>. But this is not true. Specular / phong
> only takes on the pigment colour, where reflection takes on the colour of
> <colour>.. I would think, the most realistic thing is both to be affected in
> the same way.. (the best IMO is to have individual control of both but I'm
> afraid this will be considered a feature request...)

I think the docs are simply incorrect here.  'metallic' both in finish as
in reflection uses the pigment for coloring the highlights/reflection.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>

From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 16 Jan 2002 13:36:49
Message: <3C45C7B4.5070802@skynet.be>
Hugo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> According to the docs, it is possible to control the colour of highlights by

Don't forget this : hightlights are just a quick simulation of
blurred reflection you see in real life.  If your object is
highly reflective (polished metal), don't use highlights,
and use "reflect_metallic".

Fabien.

Post a reply to this message

 Fabien Mosen <fab### [at] skynetbe> wrote:

> Don't forget this : hightlights are just a quick simulation of
> blurred reflection you see in real life.  If your object is
> highly reflective (polished metal), don't use highlights,
> and use "reflect_metallic".

"reflect_metallic" is from MegaPOV, for POV 3.5 put "metallic" in the
reflection {} block.