POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : image_map sky spheres flaky Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  image_map sky spheres flaky (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: David Wallace
Subject: image_map sky spheres flaky
Date: 2 Oct 2001 12:09:44
Message: <3BB9E6B5.83191D53@earthlink.net>
This may well be a very old issue, but it bears repeating...

I can't get good quality sky_spheres using image_maps.  If I scale them
so that they repeat, I get a mirror effect if I look at certain angles
(camera { location < -945,287.0 ,  184> look_at <  400, 58.6 ,  0.0>
}).  I tried several translations to fix this; all proved futile.

If I use map_type 1, the effect is very blotchy.  I even made a 4x4 tile
of the original image in another program and combined that with
interpolate 2 in the image_map:

sky_sphere {
 pigment {
  #if (IsTest)
   rgb <0.1, 0.3, 0.8>
  #else
   image_map { png "sky6a.png" map_type 1 interpolate 2 }
   translate <0, -1, -1>
   scale .2
  #end
 }
}

The result was still unsatisfactory.  Try it with a 960x960 png (smaller
images show the problem even more) at 1280x1024.  Lowering the render
resolution actually improves the sky_sphere, but at an obvious cost.

The map_type 1 option in image_map ignores all other transformations.
The problems I have had with it have led me to openly question this
decision.  Simply allowing the frequency keyword here would save a lot
of trouble.  'interpolate 2' can only do so much, usually around the
edges of the pixel blocks.

There are some who would call this a feature limitation and therefore
beyond the scope of beta-test issues.  But if a limit on a feature makes
that feature unsuitable for its intended purpose, the 'limit' becomes a
'bug', IMHO.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (2 KB)