POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : image_map sky spheres flaky : Re: image_map sky spheres flaky Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:26:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: image_map sky spheres flaky
From: Batronyx
Date: 12 Oct 2001 23:17:58
Message: <3bc7b266$1@news.povray.org>
"David Wallace" <dar### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
> I can transfer an image_map to a radial pigment using pigment_map:

[snip]

I received this in my mail before reading it here. But for everyone's sake:

It seems I was unintentionally misleading; radial didn't work like I remembered.
Probably, because I don't really recall using it with image_maps before,
however, I think it could if done with pigment functions.

Everything I said about spherical warps is correct though. With a little bit of
trial and error I came up with the code below. The image_map I used for the sky
came from Jeremy Engleman's website (as recommended by Gilles Tran).

http://art.net/~jeremy/photo/public_texture/index.html

They are sufficiently huge to avoid stretching. I cropped the ground out of the
bottom before saving as .bmp and naming it something more meaningful to me.

If you remove the water plane, change the initial x scaling of the pigment, or
its y rotation on the sky_sphere, (and had the bitmap) you would see where the
tiling occurs since I didn't bother to process the image for seamless tiling.

<code>
#version 3.5;
#include "colors.inc"
camera { location < -329,121.5 , 41.7> look_at < -600, 82.0 ,  0.0>
        angle 60}

#declare Sky1 = pigment { image_map { sys "PinkSunset.bmp" interpolate 2 }
     scale <1/5,0.25,1>
       }

#declare Sky2 = pigment { color SkyBlue}

sky_sphere {
      pigment {  Sky1
          warp{
               spherical