POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : File extensions Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:16:34 EDT (-0400)
  File extensions (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Adrien Beau
Subject: File extensions
Date: 17 Sep 2001 05:47:21
Message: <3BA5C696.D2C61D1A@sycomore.fr>
Hello,

I feel the topic of filename extensions is rather prone to
flamewars, but sorry, here I go. Anyway, it's rather cold
today, a bit of warming can't do harm.  :-)

Quite a lot of filenames come from the DOS days of POV, and
have kept some pecularities that should be changed. Especially,
a lot of text files have some funny extensions that where
useful in the days of 8.3 filenames, but confuse Windows, KDE,
GNOME and other environments that rely on the file extension
to open then with the correct application.

I think especially povlegal.doc, povwhere.get and the .cat
files should be renamed to .txt. Or .doc.txt, .get.txt and
.cat.txt, if you prefer. As long as the file contains ASCII
text and is not a language specific to an application, it
should have a .txt extension.

.doc is now universally understood as Microsoft Word Document,
and .cat is, IIRC, a Security Catalog in some places.

Now for the hot topic... :-)

While I think the usage of .pov is unquestionnable, I never
liked too much .inc, which is way too generic. .mcr is not
much better. I think .pvi and .pvm would be better (or .povi
and .povm), because they'd be more unique to POV. Okay,
this doesn't belong here, sorry...

--
Adrien Beau - adr### [at] freefr - http://adrien.beau.free.fr
 Mes propos n'engagent que moi et en aucun cas mes employeurs

Post a reply to this message

povwhere.get has been corrected, probably also in beta 1.
But still, there are the .cat files and povlegal.doc.

--
Adrien Beau - adr### [at] freefr - http://adrien.beau.free.fr
 Mes propos n'engagent que moi et en aucun cas mes employeurs

Post a reply to this message

> While I think the usage of .pov is unquestionnable, I never
> liked too much .inc, which is way too generic. .mcr is not
> much better. I think .pvi and .pvm would be better (or .povi
> and .povm), because they'd be more unique to POV.

Also, there is the completely generic .ini extension.

Post a reply to this message