POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : File extensions : Re: File extensions Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: File extensions
From: Bob H
Date: 17 Sep 2001 19:22:16
Message: <3ba685a8@news.povray.org>
"Thierry B." <oul### [at] chezcom> wrote in message
> Adrien Beau wrote:
> >
> > Glen Berry wrote:
> > >
> > > While they are at it, the scenes that contain files with ".c1", ".c2",
> > > ".c3", ".sph", and ".tri" extensions should probably be reworked to
> > > make those all ".inc" extensions.
> >
> > Or perhaps .c1.inc, .c2.inc, etc. The extensions have a meaning
> > that should perhaps be preserved this way.
> >

> double-dot extensions are not make-friendly, I guess.

The only ones I know of are those for the teapot and chess piece mesh
scenes.
Obviously unconventional file naming is not very intuitive when POV-Ray
can't load a file by only looking at its main name alone.  But you can kind
of see where people would try to use one particular main name and apply
varied extensions for the includes, for example.

I once tried hacking (I'm not compiler savvy at all) the source code
directly to have ini be inp, among other things too, and renaming every
external file I encountered to accomodate that change was ridiculous.  I
quickly returned to accepting what POV-Ray already did and haven't messed
with it since.

Bob H.