POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : When a renderfarm is not an option... Server Time
28 Mar 2024 15:32:48 EDT (-0400)
  When a renderfarm is not an option... (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: rodv92
Subject: When a renderfarm is not an option...
Date: 21 Mar 2017 15:25:00
Message: <web.58d17d7cb78b24ab1d2ae3900@news.povray.org>
Hello group, i am currently preparing a demo project.
the animation will be 12000 frames @ 25fps, 640*480, no AA.

It would take at least 70 days on my server, and it would make me blow up my
deadline.

A renderfarm @ 0.014 EUR/Ghzh would do the trick in 1h37 min best case scenario.
but would cost 1165 EUR.

A bit expensive...

So basically, I thought of using povray as the modelling environment, and THEN
converting the project to another renderer raster or hybrid with GPU
acceleration and buy a decent GPU card for a quarter of this price tag.

My question is : do you know any decent tool to convert POV files to another
render format with a quite good fidelity in respect to the original render
output ?

It is too late for me to switch my modelling to another platform.
An by the way, i like pov-ray a lot and would be lost in a complex project on
another platform if i had to refactor/re-engineer by hand.

Your help would be much appreciated on this issue.

Post a reply to this message

> Hello group, i am currently preparing a demo project.
> the animation will be 12000 frames @ 25fps, 640*480, no AA.

[Snip]

> It is too late for me to switch my modelling to another platform.
> An by the way, i like pov-ray a lot and would be lost in a complex project on
> another platform if i had to refactor/re-engineer by hand.
>
> Your help would be much appreciated on this issue.

There are few programs that can import PovRay SDL. I can only think of
two and one used PovRay as its renderer.
There is Blender and there is an importer under development. I don't
know the status of it. Someone else might be able to tell you.
But you need to take time to learn it. I think it might be complex.

Sorry to be the first to say it. :-(

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> Hello group, i am currently preparing a demo project.
> the animation will be 12000 frames @ 25fps, 640*480, no AA.
>
> It would take at least 70 days on my server, and it would make me blow up my
> deadline.
>
> A renderfarm @ 0.014 EUR/Ghzh would do the trick in 1h37 min best case scenario.
> but would cost 1165 EUR.
>
> A bit expensive...
>
> So basically, I thought of using povray as the modelling environment, and THEN
> converting the project to another renderer raster or hybrid with GPU
> acceleration and buy a decent GPU card for a quarter of this price tag.
>
> My question is : do you know any decent tool to convert POV files to another
> render format with a quite good fidelity in respect to the original render
> output ?
>
> It is too late for me to switch my modelling to another platform.
> An by the way, i like pov-ray a lot and would be lost in a complex project on
> another platform if i had to refactor/re-engineer by hand.
>
> Your help would be much appreciated on this issue.

Hi, you should definitely give up the constraint that prevents you from learning
new tools, Too many constraints still leave you one thing to try in POV: +RTR
for real time rendering mode that is still there as an experimental feature I
believe.

Other than that, the main thing is to use compositing, so as not to duplicate
unnecessary parts of rendered images. Blender can do that. but if you have less
time, stick to editing (simpler to learn than compositing, that will still allow
you to extend in time and overlay images.

About the POV to Blender importer, well it's very new.

Post a reply to this message

> Other than that, the main thing is to use compositing, so as not to duplicate
> unnecessary parts of rendered images. Blender can do that. but if you have less
> time, stick to editing (simpler to learn than compositing, that will still allow
> you to extend in time and overlay images.

Yes, manage your project. Don't render all the frames in a static part
of the animation. And consider reducing the quality settings to get a
faster rendering time.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> > Hello group, i am currently preparing a demo project.
> > the animation will be 12000 frames @ 25fps, 640*480, no AA.
> >
> > It would take at least 70 days on my server, and it would make me blow up my
> > deadline.
> >
> > A renderfarm @ 0.014 EUR/Ghzh would do the trick in 1h37 min best case scenario.
> > but would cost 1165 EUR.
> >
> > A bit expensive...
> >
> > So basically, I thought of using povray as the modelling environment, and THEN
> > converting the project to another renderer raster or hybrid with GPU
> > acceleration and buy a decent GPU card for a quarter of this price tag.
> >
> > My question is : do you know any decent tool to convert POV files to another
> > render format with a quite good fidelity in respect to the original render
> > output ?
> >
> > It is too late for me to switch my modelling to another platform.
> > An by the way, i like pov-ray a lot and would be lost in a complex project on
> > another platform if i had to refactor/re-engineer by hand.
> >
> > Your help would be much appreciated on this issue.
>
> Hi, you should definitely give up the constraint that prevents you from learning
> new tools, Too many constraints still leave you one thing to try in POV: +RTR
> for real time rendering mode that is still there as an experimental feature I
> believe.
>
> Other than that, the main thing is to use compositing, so as not to duplicate
> unnecessary parts of rendered images. Blender can do that. but if you have less
> time, stick to editing (simpler to learn than compositing, that will still allow
> you to extend in time and overlay images.
>
> About the POV to Blender importer, well it's very new.

thanks.
Nice suggestion.
I am quite new at professional animation techniques...

I will probably go for compositing.
The problem indeed is the effect on render times of a light source on media.
So i will render the scene with ambient light only and media and nothing else
and the rest without media but with everything else, including light sources.
and then composite all the frames.

Way to go.

Rod.

Post a reply to this message