POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : lemon {} revisited Server Time
20 Apr 2024 11:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  lemon {} revisited (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: lemon {} revisited
Date: 12 Mar 2023 16:12:24
Message: <640e3228$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/12/23 13:41, Bald Eagle wrote:
> I also have a usage question with regard to orthographic:
> I did not seem to be able to get this particular inclusion of the "angle"
> keyword to work as described, but maybe I didn't try hard enough, or my camera
> {} block was malformed.

My only experience using orthographic & angle was first setting up a
perspective view of solver test cases - where the camera needs be a
significant distance away with smaller angles. Then I'd flip perspective
to orthographic to get the, much harder for ray->surface equations and
solver, ortho rays as another test case. For me all I did was flip the
camera types... I've got no experience with more.

Where the documentation says:

"Note: The length of direction is irrelevant unless angle is used." is
true only in an abstract sense. While not the direction vector length,
the actual length of the ray in that direction absolutely matters with
respect to how well many shapes work.

If I take my earlier Camera01z set up and change the location to be:

location <0,0,-2*1e3>

I get the attached image of the same identical scene. The ray length
went from ~2 to ~2000.

Bill P.

(a) - To some extent it matters to other camera types(b) (or say light
positions for shooting photons), but in other cases the rays are almost
all coming in at some angle relative to the scene objects - and this
alone helps the ray->surface equations set up and the solvers.

(b) - I had too sovler tests for extremely small angle perspective
cameras 1-2 degrees and these too often turn up equation set up / solver
issues both because the camera rays are nearing orthogonal, but also due
the length.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'behmm.png' (88 KB)