POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Seeking complex prism advice Server Time
16 Apr 2024 17:05:51 EDT (-0400)
  Seeking complex prism advice (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Leroy
Subject: Re: Seeking complex prism advice
Date: 15 Oct 2019 17:05:00
Message: <web.5da632cb39eb184f62a41b890@news.povray.org>

> Now, having said that, Leroy just chimed in right after you, and so I gave his
> site a quick look.  One of the things I noticed, given some work that I still
> need to finish on the first part, is the pulley file.   I think that if
> something was put together to create a pulley/belt system - that would address
> quite a lot of what I was after.
> And it would serve double duty actually describing a pulley/belt system.
> Throw in a twist to allow using 3+ sided "pulleys" and there's our linear bends.
> And I have a nice little equation that allows making any N-sided shape.  I can't
> recall if I've posted that or not.
> (I haven't tracked down the same in 3D --- yet)

I did start to make a macro to make a animated 3+ pulley system.
  The first part to make the pulleys:
   each pulley has to have a unique location and size and the variables to make
   the pulley using the pulley macro would need adjusting.
  then make the belt:
   the basic shape of the belt is the inverse of the pulley surface with the
   sides trimmed or not and the outer face extended or not.
   the streight parts of the belt can be a 'prism'  scale to fit between
   the Curved parts which can be made with 'lathe'
  then textures for each:
   each pulley should has an unique texture that can be rotated smoothly or
    rotate each pulley with a fixed texture
   the belt would have a texture for each part. The curved parts would be rotate
   the streight parts would need to match the curved and move in a linear
direction
   along its path
Making the textures is where I left off. Looking back at what I just wrote. I
remember why I stopped. To many dang variables. Making shapes where fairly
simple but a lot of variables and doing texture blow the door off the variable
count. There is the KISS(Keep it Simple Stupid) factor kick in. Words I try to
live by.

Post a reply to this message