POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Radiosity rendering depends on camera direction? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 12:14:32 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity rendering depends on camera direction? (Message 2 to 11 of 11)
From: Alain
Subject: Re: Radiosity rendering depends on camera direction?
Date: 6 Apr 2019 16:38:37
Message: <5ca90e4d$1@news.povray.org>
Le 19-04-06 à 15:09, Tamas Gunda a écrit :
> I created 3D cube images with Povray - spherical images assembled from 6 images,
> each of the images corresponding to one face of a cube. Without using radiosity
> there are no problems. However, if radiosity is turned on, the six images do not
> fit exactly, there are differences in brightness of the faces. The code is the
> exactly the same for all faces, only the camera is rotated by 90 degs. Seems
> that the result of rendering with radiosity turned on depends on the camera
> direction.
>
> To better understand, have a look at www.gunda.hu/cube/povray
>
> Another perfect example, without using radiosity, is at www.gunda.hu/cube

Strange, radiosity have no effect of the geometry and should be
independent of the camera's location and orientation.

What can happen is a difference on what areas radiosity is sampling. If
that's the case, increasing the count value should help, also, using the
two values variant often help :
count 175 25000

You may also want to reduce the value for pretrace_end. Default is 0.04.
Try 0.01, 0.005 or 0.0025.

Looking at the dark end and you really need more samples. Quadrupling
your count value may not be quite enough. You may also need to increase
the recursion_limit value to 4 or maybe 5. Also, reducing minimum_reuse
could also help. Default is 0.015. Try 0.01 down to 0.004.

Adding some roundness to the edges can do a lot in reducing the
artefacts in the darker areas. A clipped cylinder will do the trick.

If you can post the source of your scene, it'll be easier to diagnose
the issue and help you.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> Strange, radiosity have no effect of the geometry and should be
> independent of the camera's location and orientation.
>
> What can happen is a difference on what areas radiosity is sampling. If
> that's the case, increasing the count value should help, also, using the
> two values variant often help :
> count 175 25000
>
> You may also want to reduce the value for pretrace_end. Default is 0.04.
> Try 0.01, 0.005 or 0.0025.
>
> Looking at the dark end and you really need more samples. Quadrupling
> your count value may not be quite enough. You may also need to increase
> the recursion_limit value to 4 or maybe 5. Also, reducing minimum_reuse
> could also help. Default is 0.015. Try 0.01 down to 0.004.
>
> Adding some roundness to the edges can do a lot in reducing the
> artefacts in the darker areas. A clipped cylinder will do the trick.
>
> If you can post the source of your scene, it'll be easier to diagnose
> the issue and help you.
>

> Alain

Thanks for the reply. Well, I tried sytematically many variations. It helped to
decrease the artefacts, however, the main problem could not be solved. It is
mostly influenced when playing with the radiosity brightness and finish/diffuse
values of the walls, but the effect of a given setting is different on the
different faces. Inspect www.gunda.hu/cube/povray again: In the third picture
some of the differences between the cube sides disappeared (the upper and the
right), while others became stronger. In other words, it seems to me that nearly
every setting influences more or less the brightness of the generated pictures,
and this influence depends somehow on the direction of the camera.

The radiosity settings used:

#if (radio)
 global_settings {
    ambient_light 0