POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Shadow calculation with area_lights Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:29:05 EDT (-0400)
  Shadow calculation with area_lights (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Klemen
Subject: Shadow calculation with area_lights
Date: 6 Aug 2005 16:10:01
Message: <web.42f51831b07dda8a365a19af0@news.povray.org>
I am working on a semi-realistic render of a product to be used on a big
jumbo-sized display, the kind of style you'd normally see with stuff like
skin mousturizer and the like - all silky and smooth. Point is, I've been
using area_light spotlights in the scene, one among them being a shadowless
floodlight I've been using to get a reddish tint at a 90 degree angle to
the main white spotlight.

Question is, I've noticed that when using shadowless, it's pretty much
pointless to have area_light specified anyway, since, as I understand
correctly, POV-Ray only uses the area_lights portion for the calculation of
soft borders in shadows. Does POV-Ray automatically turn off area_light in
case of the shadowless keyword or is that already taken care of by just not
calculating shadows?

Greets,

-Klmn