POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Photons with glass and metal Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:16:55 EDT (-0400)
  Photons with glass and metal (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Mienai
Subject: Photons with glass and metal
Date: 26 Jan 2005 23:40:01
Message: <web.41f870532c150b48fb8d24aa0@news.povray.org>
So I created this simple object made of both glass but for some reason I get
splotches where the glass reflects the photons onto the ground.  You can
see what I'm talking about here:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/14253556/

I tried halfing the spacing but that just increases the splotchyness
density.  Any ideas of how I can fix this, thanks.

My photons block:
  photons{
    spacing .025
    autostop 0
  }

Post a reply to this message

In the last image where I used photons, I used
spacing 0.003

Perhaps your spacing is simply too large.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com
<Mienai> wrote in message
> So I created this simple object made of both glass but for some reason I
> get
> splotches where the glass reflects the photons onto the ground.  You can
> see what I'm talking about here:
> http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/14253556/
>
> I tried halfing the spacing but that just increases the splotchyness
> density.  Any ideas of how I can fix this, thanks.
>
> My photons block:
>  photons{
>    spacing .025
>    autostop 0
>  }

Post a reply to this message

> So I created this simple object made of both glass but for some reason I
get
> splotches where the glass reflects the photons onto the ground.

What is the texture of the glass? What is the code for the light source? (Is
it an area light?)

It does seem a little strange and I do think you should try Jeremy's
suggestion of dropping the spacing by a lot more than you have.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

"Slime" <fak### [at] emailaddress> wrote:
> > So I created this simple object made of both glass but for some reason I
> get
> > splotches where the glass reflects the photons onto the ground.
>
> What is the texture of the glass? What is the code for the light source? (Is
> it an area light?)
>
> It does seem a little strange and I do think you should try Jeremy's
> suggestion of dropping the spacing by a lot more than you have.
>
>  - Slime
>  [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

So I tried dropping the spacing to .003 and while it did sharpen the
caustics and produce a 750Mb photon file, the splotchyness is still there.
It's less noticeable because it's denser but it's definitly there.
http://www.deviantart.com/view/14725048/

My glass textures are:
 material {
  texture {
   pigment {color  Col_Glass_Clear}//
   finish {F_Glass6}
  }
  interior {
   I_Glass_Exp(.5)
   fade_color Col_Green_01   //turqoise
  }
 }
with different fade_colors obviously.  My light source code is:
 light_source {
  <-8, 10, 18>*1.5
  color rgb 1.2

  area_light <2,0,0>,  <0,0,2>,  15, 15
  circular
  orient

  photons {
   reflection on
   refraction on
  }
 }
So yes it is an area light, but my photons aren't and turning that off
doesn't affect it (although it produces an interesting effect).  And just
for your knowlege the cube is a blob object with finish{Mirror} and the
floor reflectiveness doesn't affect it at all.

Tweaking around with the code it almost seems like the splotchyness is a
result of the photon and the interaction between the glass and the metal.
I render the glass sides alone and I can't find evidence of the spots and
the same if I run the cube alone (although the cubes reflected light is
kind of light to really tell).  I also find that the spacing multipier has
more affect when applied to just the glass as opposed to the cube.

Thank's for the ideas though, keep them coming.  I could post the entire
source code though if needed.

Post a reply to this message