POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Problem with Mirror and Reflection using photons Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:27:02 EDT (-0400)
  Problem with Mirror and Reflection using photons (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Peter T  Mayer
Subject: Problem with Mirror and Reflection using photons
Date: 18 Jan 2005 03:35:00
Message: <web.41ecc9f82fb492d1173073970@news.povray.org>
Hello,

As I didn't get an answer on povray.newusers maybe it is a advanced problem:

I have a problem using Photons to simulate a laser beam which is reflected
by a mirror. Please take a look at the povray example at the end of this
message. If you calculate the example, you will notice that the reflected
laser beam does not start at the point where the incomming beam hits the
mirror, but somewhere above the mirror, this looks not very natural. What
is wrong with my example?

And second question, how can I achieve that the reflected beam is not so
much scattered?

Thanks in advance for your answers,
Peter

---------------------------------------
help.pov:
---------------------------------------

global_settings {
   adc_bailout 0.0039216
   assumed_gamma 1.5
   noise_generator 2

   photons {
      count 2000
      gather 40, 100
      media 100, 2
   }
}

camera {
   perspective
   location <0, 5, -5>
   sky <0, 1, 0>
   direction <0, 0, 1>
   right <1.3333, 0, 0>
   up <0, 1, 0>
   look_at <5, 0, 0>
}

light_source {
   <4, 5, -5>, rgb <1, 1, 1>
   media_interaction off
   media_attenuation off
}

light_source {
   //*PMName Light
   <0, 0, 0>, rgb <1, 1, 1>
   cylinder
   radius 0.3
   falloff 0.3
   tightness 0
   point_at <8, 0, 0>

   photons {
      refraction on
      reflection on
   }
}

box {
   //*PMName Interior
   <0, -4, -4>, <8, 4, 4>

   pigment {
      color rgbft <0, 0, 0, 1, 1>
   }

   interior {
      media {
         method 3
         intervals 1
         ratio 1

         scattering {
            1, rgb <1, 1, 1>
            extinction 0
         }
      }
   }
   scale 1
   rotate <0, 0, 0>
   translate y*0.5
   hollow
}

union {
   //*PMName Mirror

   box {
      <-0.1, -1, -1>, <0.1, 1, 1>

      pigment {
         color rgb <0.188235, 0.188235, 0.188235>
      }
   }

   box {
      //*PMName MirrorPiece