POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Media Clouds & Falling Rain Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:29:38 EDT (-0400)
  Media Clouds & Falling Rain (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Tim McMurdo
Subject: Media Clouds & Falling Rain
Date: 8 Dec 2004 15:35:00
Message: <web.41b764bedbec76b5acb32c570@news.povray.org>
I have finally gotten to the point where I can create a decent media cloud.
What I want is a single cloud with  a column of rain coming from underneath
it.

The problems I am facing:

1. Due to the turbulance of the media, I never know how big the cloud will
be inside of the container. So what should the diameter of my rain column
be so that if fits the size of the media cloud and not the media container?

2. I don't know exactly where the media cloud shows up inside of the media
container, so how do I insure that the rain column is under an acutal cloud
and not just under the media container?

3. I am thinking of using media for the column of rain. So, won't I have
problems with overlapping media containers?

I would welcome any suggestions including...am I even heading in the right
direction? Is there a better approach?

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Tim

Post a reply to this message

Tim McMurdo nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 2004-12-08 15:33... :

>I have finally gotten to the point where I can create a decent media cloud.
>What I want is a single cloud with  a column of rain coming from underneath
>it.
>
>The problems I am facing:
>
>1. Due to the turbulance of the media, I never know how big the cloud will
>be inside of the container. So what should the diameter of my rain column
>be so that if fits the size of the media cloud and not the media container?
>
>2. I don't know exactly where the media cloud shows up inside of the media
>container, so how do I insure that the rain column is under an acutal cloud
>and not just under the media container?
>
>3. I am thinking of using media for the column of rain. So, won't I have
>problems with overlapping media containers?
>
>I would welcome any suggestions including...am I even heading in the right
>direction? Is there a better approach?
>
>Thanks for any help you can give me,
>
>Tim

Your 2 containers will inevitably overlap. The rain column is never as
large as the cloud it originate from, and actualy start inside the
cloud. Make the rain container reatch inside the cloud and adjust it's
horizontal size by trial and error. Between two renders, the turbulance
will remain the same, so will the shape of the cloud. If you need to
move it around, do the translation *after* the media is applied, this
will preserve the shape.
You can merge both containers, just use a cylindrical pattern for the
rain with a dencity_map that is mostly constant everywhere and drop
sharply near the zero value (1 at the center, 0 at 1 unit radius scale
it as needed).

Alain