POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Two point perspective? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:24:09 EDT (-0400)
  Two point perspective? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: stm31415
Subject: Two point perspective?
Date: 8 Nov 2004 19:25:00
Message: <web.41900d2ea5c8de82ef4cb4b10@news.povray.org>
I've been fooling around with hand drawn perspective lately, and I learned
how to find the optimum viewing point for a perspective drawing. (Find a
tiled section of the ground, as in an old-style painting there always is
one, and then connect a *diagonal* line running through the corners of the
tiles to the horizon. the distance from the intersection of the line and
the horizon and the vanishing point is the distance away, perpendicularly,
your eye should be form the vanishing point.) So I immediately tried it out
on POV-Ray. And, indeed, at the right distance, all warping goes away, and
the image looks truly 3 dimentional.

So my question is, how can I predict/change this distance?  Say I want an
image to be viewed from three feet away, instead of 5 inches? (It seems to
be proportional to the size of the image) My guess is the angle of the
camera is the key, but I don't know exactly how the angle definition works
(I can *use* it, I just don't know the math. I'm looking into it now.).

Anyhoo, any ideas? Thanks for the help.

-S
5TF!

Post a reply to this message