POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Questions on saving/loading of radiosity data Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:00 EDT (-0400)
  Questions on saving/loading of radiosity data (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: dan B hentschel
Subject: Questions on saving/loading of radiosity data
Date: 9 Oct 2004 20:25:00
Message: <web.416881092fa1b46b31e6d870@news.povray.org>
The documentation on saving and loading of radiosity doesn't give an awful
lot of information.

When I save radiosity data to a file, does it save the pre-render data only,
or does it also save samples taken during the render phase? It seems to be
the pre-render only, but I want to be sure of this.

Is the save file independent of resolution? Can I save radiosity data on a
160x120 image and then load it on a 1600x1200 image? My guess is that it is
not resolution-dependent, but again, I want to be sure.

In what situations do people normally use save/load of radiosity? It seems
to have fairly limited utility, but it also seems to be fairly commonly
used. Is there something that I'm missing? I can tell you right now that
the only use that I have found for it is when I am rendering with multiple
processes via SMPOV. For some reason, certain radiosity settings tend to
not render well in tiles. Each tile looks decent by itself, but when I put
the image together, there are obvious seams where the radiosity
calculations were different for the separate tiles. Saving the values in a
file and then loading them for each tile seems to almost completely
eliminate this problem, although I rarely think I still can see some very
faint seams. I may be imagining things, though.

Thanks.

 - dan B hentschel

Post a reply to this message