POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : A speed issue with Bezier patches. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:29:05 EDT (-0400)
  A speed issue with Bezier patches. (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: kth7n
Subject: A speed issue with Bezier patches.
Date: 19 Jan 2003 10:00:09
Message: <web.3e2abc9db6f08980c1bd40360@news.povray.org>
Hi guys and gals,

I have a render speed issue with bezier patches in povray 3.5. In a scene I
have used a load of patches to simulate hair. These were generated via
Moray 3.3a. The issue is this: in pov 3.5, the render is EXTREMELY slow, on
the order of 24 hours for abour 10 measly pixels. That's right, 10 pixels
per day, or so. After about 36 hours, I called it quits.

Because of this I've kept pov 3.1g around, which doesn't have this problem
and takes about 37 seconds to finish. I'd include a sample source, but the
web interface doesn't allow attachments. I've tried this on two different
computers, with different processors, with the same results. Here are some
other machine statistics to complete this scenario:

Machine 1
  Athlon XP 1700+
  384M DDR RAM
  Windows 2000
  Max trace level 10

Machine 2
  Pentium 4 2.4B
  512M DDR RAM
  Windows 2000
  Max trace level 10

Single point light source, no radiosity. Povray 3.1g reports 2152 frame
level objects, 0 infinite.

This leads me to think something has changed in the way patches are handled
in povray. Is it possibly a bug?