POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : light dependant image_map? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:22:10 EDT (-0400)
  light dependant image_map? (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Michael Zier
Subject: Re: light dependant image_map?
Date: 2 Dec 2003 09:37:25
Message: <3fcca3a5$1@news.povray.org>
You're right, I didn't think about that...

> Not really. Due to the use of the radial pattern, the blend area gets
> thinner towards the poles, pinching to a point at the poles. In real
> life, it is constant. (Actually, getting slightly thicker, due to the
> oblate shape of the planet.)

Post a reply to this message

From: m1j
Date: 3 Dec 2003 04:20:01
Message: <web.3fcdaa5fa5497df74e1f4eb10@news.povray.org>
Erhard Ducke wrote:
>Hi!
>Is it possible to show different image_maps on an object depending on the
>quantity of light that falls on a part of the object?
>Background:
>The earth should show a night bitmap (with city lights) on the night side
>and another bitmap on the side that is hit by the sunlight...
>Thanks!
>E.D.
>Erhard Ducke

You could just use an alpha map on the entire sphere with another sphere
inside with high ambient. The lite part would only show up when the outer
sphere was in the darks side view. No need in rotateing textures or any
extra code. Just a map with dots for where you want the lights. You could
even animate the texture inside to give the lights a flicker of sorts.