POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Mesh Question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:14:45 EDT (-0400)
  Mesh Question (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Randy
Subject: Mesh Question
Date: 30 Oct 2004 19:35:00
Message: <web.418424f54886aaeb944674e10@news.povray.org>
I would like to know if there is a utility available to export a povray
mesh file(mesh1 or mesh2) to a .obj file

Post a reply to this message

From: ingo
Subject: Re: Mesh Question
Date: 31 Oct 2004 02:38:10
Message: <Xns959357D9C5094seed7@news.povray.org>
in news:web.418424f54886aaeb944674e10@news.povray.org Randy wrote:

>    I would like to know if there is a utility available to export a
> povray mesh file(mesh1 or mesh2) to a .obj file

I once made a simple python script to do that,
you can find it on this newsserver:

> I once made a simple python script to do that,
> you can find it on this newsserver:
>
> Newsgroups: povray.binaries.utilities
> Subject: mesh to obj converter
> From: ingo <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg>
> Date: 25 May 2004 19:01:44 -0400
> http://news.povray.org/Xns94F5A773245Aseed7@news.povray.org
>
> Ingo

Thanks for your responce Ingo
  I assume you are the same person who wrote parim.inc. If so that is a
great macro. But, back to mesh conversion, I have two questions.
    1) I'm not familiar with python scripts, so what do I do with the text
file.
    2) I've actually found I can use microsoft excel to convert mesh files
to object files. When I use parim.inc and write the equation out as a .arr
and then convert this file (I know: redundant since parim.inc already does
this, but I needed mesh files to test) it works as expected. However when I
use meshes from Warps mesh compressor, these files don' work as expected.
I'm not really certain, but could this be because the compressed mesh
doesn't contain the UVnormals.
   I'm not really familiar with object files. I just chose this format
because the data is stored in a simple text format. Is it possible to carry
UVIndices in Object files. Scratching my head alot so any thoughts would be
good

Randy

Post a reply to this message