POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Stumped by desk lamp trig equation Server Time
28 Mar 2024 09:26:37 EDT (-0400)
  Stumped by desk lamp trig equation (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Stumped by desk lamp trig equation
Date: 6 Aug 2022 12:24:15
Message: <62ee95af$1@news.povray.org>
I want to aim a desk lamp by specifying where it should point.  P(x,y)
is where to aim the lamp, c is the length of the flexible part of the
neck, a is an additional rigid distance to the central axis of the lamp
hood, and f is the angle to bend the neck.  The initial equation was
huge and ugly, but I managed to simplify it considerably, to this form:

  (x - c/f) * sin(f) + y * cos(f) = a

But now I'm stuck.  Variables a, c, x, and y are given, and I need to
solve for f.  I plugged it into Wolfram Alpha, but it gave up.  I don't
even know if a paid subscription would find a solution, and I would
hardly use the service enough to justify a subscription anyway.  Does
anyone have an idea of how to proceed with the equation?  Or should I
gamble that Wolfram Alpha Pro can solve it and pay for one month?

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'flex_lamp_problem.png' (19 KB)

Preview of image 'flex_lamp_problem.png'
flex_lamp_problem.png

On 06/08/2022 18:24, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> I want to aim a desk lamp by specifying where it should point.  P(x,y)
> is where to aim the lamp, c is the length of the flexible part of the
> neck, a is an additional rigid distance to the central axis of the lamp
> hood, and f is the angle to bend the neck.  The initial equation was
> huge and ugly, but I managed to simplify it considerably, to this form:
>
>   (x - c/f) * sin(f) + y * cos(f) = a
>
> But now I'm stuck.  Variables a, c, x, and y are given, and I need to
> solve for f.  I plugged it into Wolfram Alpha, but it gave up.  I don't
> even know if a paid subscription would find a solution, and I would
> hardly use the service enough to justify a subscription anyway.  Does
> anyone have an idea of how to proceed with the equation?  Or should I
> gamble that Wolfram Alpha Pro can solve it and pay for one month?

To test your equation, I replaced the a, c, x and y by numerical values.
Wolfram solve the equation but only numerically because apparently there
is not only one solution...

<https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=solve+++%283+-+4%2Fx%29+*+sin%28x%29+%2B+5+*+cos%28x%29+%3D+2>

Puzzled !

--