POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Color maps Server Time
28 Mar 2024 11:21:53 EDT (-0400)
  Color maps (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Color maps
Date: 21 Mar 2021 09:56:59
Message: <605750ab$1@news.povray.org>
So, I have been working with functions and patterns for a while now, and
aside from not having vector functions to easily create color values
with, I have run into an issue with the way POV-Ray maps things -
colors, pigments, textures.

Since I haven't experimented extensively with these mapping mechanisms
or gone through the source code to see exactly how they are handled, I
as far as I know, they only handle values in the range from zero to one.

I'm interested in knowing if anyone has done any work that contradicts
this notion, or to hear how I might use negative numbers, large numbers,
or ways to get around the auto-wrapping-around of the color map.  I'd
like to subtract part of one color channel from the overall result of an
average {} pigment using a negative value, or saturate the color (to
white) by allowing large values.

Any data would be helpful.

Thanks!

Post a reply to this message

> So, I have been working with functions and patterns for a while now, and
> aside from not having vector functions to easily create color values
> with, I have run into an issue with the way POV-Ray maps things -
> colors, pigments, textures.
>
> Since I haven't experimented extensively with these mapping mechanisms
> or gone through the source code to see exactly how they are handled, I
> as far as I know, they only handle values in the range from zero to one.
>
> I'm interested in knowing if anyone has done any work that contradicts
> this notion, or to hear how I might use negative numbers, large numbers,
> or ways to get around the auto-wrapping-around of the color map.  I'd
> like to subtract part of one color channel from the overall result of an
> average {} pigment using a negative value, or saturate the color (to
> white) by allowing large values.
>
> Any data would be helpful.
>
> Thanks!

The short answer if you are using v3.7 or v3.8 more or less stock, is
you can use the 0-1 map range only(1).

(1) - And even with this there are some general issues/bugs.

For more information look at the series of postings working backward
from to the first few starting here:

http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test.binaries/thread/%3C5fdfc14f%40news.povray.org%3E/

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message