POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Converting MegaPOV 0.5 to Povray 3.5 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:25:10 EDT (-0400)
  Converting MegaPOV 0.5 to Povray 3.5 (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: destroyedlolo
Subject: Converting MegaPOV 0.5 to Povray 3.5
Date: 15 Jun 2005 18:41:51
Message: <42B0AE2F.2010005@yahoo.com>
Hello,

I'm trying to convert to POVray 3.5 an Ant model made Micha Riser for
MegaPOV 0.5 (found http://objects.povworld.org/).

When I trace the example file, I got the following error

Parsing.....................File: ant.inc  Line: 122
sphere_sweep{
	catmull_rom_spline_sphere_sweep
<----ERROR

Parse Error: Invalid type of interpolation.

and the corresponding source file is :

union{

sphere_sweep{

		catmull_rom_spline_sphere_sweep
		#declare rscale=0.4;
		6
		0,0.275*rscale
		0,0.25*rscale
		<-.2,0,1>,.22*rscale
		<-.3,0.15,2.8>,.3*rscale
		<0,0.3,4.8>,.35*rscale
		<0,0.3,4.8>,.35*rscale

		rotate y*90
		rotate z*90

There is another 'sphere_sweep' later :

sphere_sweep{
	linear_sphere_sweep
	21
	0,0.25

	#while(ss_anz<10)

and pov complain about linear_sphere_sweep.

So my question is obvious : how can I convert these bit of code to
something understandable by POVRay ?

Thanks & regards,

Laurent

Post a reply to this message

>I'm trying to convert to POVray 3.5 an Ant model made Micha Riser for
>MegaPOV 0.5 (found http://objects.povworld.org/).

Use "cubic_spline" and "linear_spline" instead of
"catmull_rom_spline_sphere_sweep" and "linear_spline_sphere_sweep".

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

>>I'm trying to convert to POVray 3.5 an Ant model made Micha Riser for
>>MegaPOV 0.5 (found http://objects.povworld.org/).
>

> Use "cubic_spline" and "linear_spline" instead of
> "catmull_rom_spline_sphere_sweep" and "linear_spline_sphere_sweep".

Unfortunately, I got many errors :
.File: ant.inc  Line: 171
Warning: Should have at least 2 objects in csg.

File: ant_example_scene.pov  Line: 68
Warning: Unnecessary bounding object removed.

I will install MegaPov, anyway, thanks for your reply.

Laurent

Post a reply to this message

destroyedlolo nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-06-16 18:11:
> Mike Williams wrote:
>
>> Wasn't it destroyedlolo who wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to convert to POVray 3.5 an Ant model made Micha Riser for
>>> MegaPOV 0.5 (found http://objects.povworld.org/).
>>

>> Use "cubic_spline" and "linear_spline" instead of
>> "catmull_rom_spline_sphere_sweep" and "linear_spline_sphere_sweep".
>

> Unfortunately, I got many errors :
> .File: ant.inc  Line: 171
> Warning: Should have at least 2 objects in csg.
Probably an union with only one component, you may change "union" for "object"

> File: ant_example_scene.pov  Line: 68
> Warning: Unnecessary bounding object removed.
The file contains some manual bounding "object" that are not needed. Remove any
"bounded_by..." you
can find.

> I will install MegaPov, anyway, thanks for your reply.
>
> Laurent

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Williams
Date: 16 Jun 2005 22:32:52
Message: <4l292AAU5isCFwWl@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it destroyedlolo who wrote:
>Mike Williams wrote:
>> Wasn't it destroyedlolo who wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I'm trying to convert to POVray 3.5 an Ant model made Micha Riser for
>>>MegaPOV 0.5 (found http://objects.povworld.org/).
>>

>> Use "cubic_spline" and "linear_spline" instead of
>> "catmull_rom_spline_sphere_sweep" and "linear_spline_sphere_sweep".
>>

>Unfortunately, I got many errors :
>.File: ant.inc  Line: 171
>Warning: Should have at least 2 objects in csg.
>
>File: ant_example_scene.pov  Line: 68
>Warning: Unnecessary bounding object removed.
>
>I will install MegaPov, anyway, thanks for your reply.

I believe you'll get those same warnings with MegaPOV. Warning messages
don't stop the image rendering, they just notify you of things that the
program suspects might be badly written.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

From: destroyedlolo
Date: 17 Jun 2005 17:42:42
Message: <42B34352.5060806@yahoo.com>
>>Unfortunately, I got many errors :
>>.File: ant.inc  Line: 171
>>Warning: Should have at least 2 objects in csg.
>>
>>File: ant_example_scene.pov  Line: 68
>>Warning: Unnecessary bounding object removed.
>>
>>I will install MegaPov, anyway, thanks for your reply.
>

> I believe you'll get those same warnings with MegaPOV. Warning messages
> don't stop the image rendering, they just notify you of things that the
> program suspects might be badly written.

Yes, you're right : so I remove offending lines and now the test scene
compute succesfully w/o warning using POV 3.5 on my SUN workstation.

The result is very pretty and ants are very realistics.

A big "thank you" for Alain & you for your help, and obviously for Micha
for he original code.

Bye

Laurent

PS: I'll make some cleaning and I will upload this new version to
http://objects.povworld.org/