POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Seeing shadow on 'no-image' shape Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  Seeing shadow on 'no-image' shape (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Hombre
Subject: Seeing shadow on 'no-image' shape
Date: 31 Oct 2004 06:51:31
Message: <4184d1c3$1@news.povray.org>
Hello !

I'm currently trying to generate a POV image with transparent background to
paste it on a real life photo. I would like to render the shadow in alpha
channel on an invisible table (which have the 'no-image' flag on), but
nothing appears at all... Is there a way to do this ?

Thanks

---
   Hombre

Post a reply to this message

> I'm currently trying to generate a POV image with transparent background to
> paste it on a real life photo. I would like to render the shadow in alpha
> channel on an invisible table (which have the 'no-image' flag on), but
> nothing appears at all... Is there a way to do this ?

Not that easy.  You can render the alpha channel in a second render
(with the table in white color and the object that casts the shadow in
black.  Then you can use this (grayscale) image as the alpha channel in
the image (for example using Imagemagick).

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

>I'm currently trying to generate a POV image with transparent background to
>paste it on a real life photo. I would like to render the shadow in alpha
>channel on an invisible table (which have the 'no-image' flag on), but
>nothing appears at all... Is there a way to do this ?

You can't do it in one pass. See my web page for info on how to do it in
two passes.

<http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/shadowtut/index.htm>

--
Mike Williams