POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Question2. Particle system Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:11:53 EDT (-0400)
  Question2. Particle system (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Gena
Subject: Question2. Particle system
Date: 20 Apr 2004 00:17:07
Message: <4084a443$1@news.povray.org>
Another useful POV-Tree feature could be ability to apply
to the tree such effects as wind and gravity. I'm planning
to implement that as two sliders in preview panel. A
horizontal slider could represent a wind and a vertical
one could represent a gravity.

As far as I understand this falls into particle systems
category of CG. Does anybody have a good reference to
this subject (preferably on-line?

POV-Tree uses the same algorithm as TOMTREE to generate
tree model. The whole tree is represented in POV-Tree as
an array of Blob objects. Blob object in turn has three
attributes:

blob center - x, y, z coordinates
blob radius
blob strength (not used)

Should I add more attribute(s) to the Blob object to
participate in particle algorithm? Maybe index of
that Blob object in the array would be enough (?)

And here is a pretty Java applet demonstrating loosely
coupled particles which I think I have to implement:

http://v3ga.free.fr/Java/SodaTry/index.htm

Thanks in advance!

Gena.

Post a reply to this message

> Another useful POV-Tree feature could be ability to apply
> to the tree such effects as wind and gravity. I'm planning
> to implement that as two sliders in preview panel. A
> horizontal slider could represent a wind and a vertical
> one could represent a gravity.

AFAIK this sounds more like physical simulation of soft bodies.
One way to model soft bodies is with an "armature" composed of particles
connected by springs (sometimes called mass-spring systems), those system
are particularly suited for clothes simulation systems.
I believe that Cristoph Hormann's MechSim is a good example of what such a
system looks like.
SimPOV at http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/simpov/index.html.
MegaPOV at http://megapov.inetart.net/

> As far as I understand this falls into particle systems
> category of CG. Does anybody have a good reference to
> this subject (preferably on-line?

See above.

--
Alessandro Falappa