POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Pov-Ray to generate Depth Images Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  Pov-Ray to generate Depth Images (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Rodrigo Almeida
Subject: Pov-Ray to generate Depth Images
Date: 20 Jan 2004 16:46:50
Message: <400da1ca$1@news.povray.org>
Does someone knows how to convert 3D scenes to Depth Images (or Layered
Depth Images). I know some guys that have done that by modifying Pov-Ray (
http://www.cs.nthu.edu.tw/~chunfa/pcm2002.pdf ) but I don't know how.

Thanks,
Rodrigo

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Subject: Re: Pov-Ray to generate Depth Images
Date: 20 Jan 2004 17:12:03
Message: <cjameshuff-7867D4.17123020012004@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <400da1ca$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Rodrigo Almeida" <rod### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> Does someone knows how to convert 3D scenes to Depth Images (or Layered
> Depth Images). I know some guys that have done that by modifying Pov-Ray (
> http://www.cs.nthu.edu.tw/~chunfa/pcm2002.pdf ) but I don't know how.

Several people have done this, it's a pretty easy patch to create. I did
it by adding a special global_settings option, I think Ron Parker did it
as a command line option, and MegaPOV versions earlier than 1.0 allowed
the depth information to be output with a post-process filter. However,
it isn't absolutely necessary to modify POV to do so, it's just the
easiest way...you can give all objects a flat white texture with ambient
1 and use black fog (or a flat black texture and white fog), or give
everything a texture using a spherical pattern centered on the camera.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message