POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Write macro-generated objects to file? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:34:51 EDT (-0400)
  Write macro-generated objects to file? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Torsten Crass
Subject: Write macro-generated objects to file?
Date: 22 Jul 2003 11:49:28
Message: <3f1d5d08@news.povray.org>
Ooops - actually I wanted to post this to the "advanced" group right
from the begining... I hope you don't mind that I still post it here
although I accidently sent it to "general" first...

---8<---

Hi there!

When populating a scene with loads of macro-generated objects, I thought
it would be a nice idea to run those time-consuming macros only once,
write their "return values" (in this case: unions of triangles) to an
.inc file and re-use this file when further experimenting with the
scene. However, I couldn't figure out a way to write those objects to a
file - the #write directive apparently only accepts strings, numbers and
vectors.
Does anybody have a clue how one could save macro-generated objects to a
file - i.e. use PovRay for creating its own .inc files?

Thanx in advance -

     Torsten

Post a reply to this message

If you prepare the objects like strings, you can write your
own include files during parsing time:

#declare Sphere_Pos=<0,0,0>;
#fopen OutputFile "file_io.inc" write
#write (OutputFile, "sphere{",Sphere_Pos,",.5 pigment{rgb 1}}\n")
#fclose OutputFile

This would create file with sphere as content.
You just have to be a little creative! :-)

--
Tim Nikias v2.0

> Ooops - actually I wanted to post this to the "advanced" group right
> from the begining... I hope you don't mind that I still post it here
> although I accidently sent it to "general" first...
>
> ---8<---
>
> Hi there!
>
> When populating a scene with loads of macro-generated objects, I thought
> it would be a nice idea to run those time-consuming macros only once,
> write their "return values" (in this case: unions of triangles) to an
> .inc file and re-use this file when further experimenting with the
> scene. However, I couldn't figure out a way to write those objects to a
> file - the #write directive apparently only accepts strings, numbers and
> vectors.
> Does anybody have a clue how one could save macro-generated objects to a
> file - i.e. use PovRay for creating its own .inc files?
>
> Thanx in advance -
>
>      Torsten

---

> #write (OutputFile, "sphere{",Sphere_Pos,",.5 pigment{rgb 1}}\n")
> #fclose OutputFile
>
> This would create file with sphere as content.
> You just have to be a little creative! :-)

_that_ creative I've been already... ;-) I just would like to use the
same (complex) macro to create both .inc files and ready-to-use objects.
  Seems, however, not possible due to the lack of some kind of
to_string(OBJECT) function... sigh!

Thanx anyway -

	Torsten

Post a reply to this message