POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : A question of physics Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:27:59 EDT (-0400)
  A question of physics (Message 17 to 26 of 36)
From: Christopher James Huff
Subject: Re: A question of physics
Date: 9 May 2003 11:27:03
Message: <cjameshuff-1CE449.11270509052003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3eba0c14$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Andrew Coppin" <orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote:

> OK, well, a lump of shashed up ice doesn't look reflective at all...

Ice is very reflective. That's why you can see it.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 9 May 2003 12:10:35
Message: <3ebbd2fb@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff <cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> Mirages. The varying density can cause reflections.

  You don't mean variable refraction?

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 9 May 2003 16:29:11
Message: <cjameshuff-A07733.16291309052003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ebbd2fb@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

> > Mirages. The varying density can cause reflections.
>
>   You don't mean variable refraction?

I do, and don't. The varying density causes varying optical density,
which produces variable refraction. If things are set up properly, you
can end up with reflections from a layer of hot air which look a lot
like water.