POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Bounding Spheres Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:22:54 EDT (-0400)
  Bounding Spheres (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Mike Williams
Subject: Re: Bounding Spheres
Date: 31 Dec 2002 15:00:18
Message: <g04fCDA7cfE+EwWd@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Fernando Gonzalez del Cueto who wrote:
>I don't know if this is a good approach, but I think it can be very fast:
>
>Find the bounding box, which is "cheap", and now find the smallest sphere
>that includes this box.

That's a description of "Solution 2" from Kevin's original post. It can
be quite a poor fit in some cases.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Loney
Date: 3 Jan 2003 17:42:14
Message: <3e1611c6@news.povray.org>
I tried the binary search idea, although I get a very good approximation,
Mike Williams algorithm always gave a better approximation. I actually
considered something similar to your suggested method, I just haven't
scripted it yet. I'll let you know how well it works

Kevin