POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Second attempt, Rendering Problem Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:23:43 EDT (-0400)
  Second attempt, Rendering Problem (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Justace Clutter
Subject: Second attempt, Rendering Problem
Date: 23 Oct 2002 17:49:06
Message: <3db71952@news.povray.org>
I know that I had originally brought this post to this group and then
reposted to the general group thinking that the general was a better place
for it.  It has not been suggested that I post here now.

I am a physics major in my senior year and have taking some classes about
mathematics in physics.  I tried to plot the solutions in gnuplot, but, it
did not give me the feeling that I wanted.  I would like to have a 3D
animation of the solution.  I did some research and found that the new
povray had the n-th partial sum functionality, this is very important for
the math function.  I took the isosurface example from the povray dist and
modified the isosurface to have my function.  I will past that pov file on
the tail of this message.  When I try to render it it just stops doing
anything.  I tried changing it so that it only got one term.  It still did
not work.  I then moved it back to 50 like originally.  I was able to get
certain parts of the function to work by taking in out all the other
components, but then when I put them back in one by one it began to fail.
I would really appreciate any help on this at all, I really want this to
work and it is driving me nuts.  Thanks in advance.

-- SNIP
#version 3.5;

#include "colors.inc"
#include "functions.inc"

global_settings {
        assumed_gamma 1
}

camera {
        location <0, -10, 5>
        look_at < 0, 0, 0>
}

light_source {<5, 0, 5> color White*0.35}
light_source {<-50, 150,-75> color White}

cylinder {
  <-5, 0, 0>,
  <5, 0, 0>,
  .05
  pigment {
    color Red
  }
}

cylinder {
  <0, -5, 0>,
  <0, 5, 0>,
  .05
  pigment {
    color Blue
  }
}

cylinder {
  <0, 0, -5>,
  <0, 0, 5>,
  .05
  pigment {
    color Green
  }
}

plane {<0, 0, 1>, -2
  pigment {
    checker color Magenta, color White
  }
}

plane {<0, 1, 0>, 5
  pigment {
    checker color Red, color White
  }
}

#declare IsoFinish =
finish {
        ambient 0 diffuse 1
        specular 1 roughness 0.02
        brilliance 2
}

isosurface {
  function {
      z - sum(n, 1,
1,-1*((40/(n*pi)))*(cos(n*pi)-cos((n*pi)/2))*sin((n*pi*x)/10)*exp(-1*(((pow(n,2)*pow(pi,2))/100)*0)))
  }

  threshold 0
  contained_by {box {<4,0,0>, < 5.1, .2, 25>}}
  max_gradient 20
//  open
  texture {
    pigment {color Blue}