POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Radiosity - sunlight through a window? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:22:30 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity - sunlight through a window? (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: JRG
Subject: Re: Radiosity - sunlight through a window?
Date: 26 Jul 2002 16:45:37
Message: <3d41b4f1@news.povray.org>
"John Pallett" wrote:
> Hi guys -
>
> Some more notes -
>
> I was surrounding my entire scene with a gigantic white sphere, not creating
> a 'spherical sun'.  The problem, as it turns out, was that the light wasn't
> getting scattered around the room enough for it to properly simulate
> sunlight coming in a window (which scatters all over the room).  So the
> scene consisted of:
>
> - A huge white sphere, ambient 0.5
> - A parallel white light (sunlight) (parallel lighting for the sun is good
> enough for our purposes)
> - A room with a window, all materials set to (ambient 0, diffuse 0.9) so
> that they aren't emitting light into the scene
> - My camera inside the room
>
> Thanks to everyone for suggestions thus far.  The missing ingredient seems
> to have been media, which can be used to scatter light.  What I am doing now
> is using media inside my rooms to scatter the sunlight as it comes in the
> window and as it bounces around the room.  Very subtle scattering gives me
> great results.
>
> I'll post images to PBI once I get something put together that demonstrates
> the problem clearly.
>
> Can anyone suggest another way to solve the problem of having the light
> coming in the window scatter around the room appropriately?  Note that my
> camera points TOWARDS the window, so making the window's wall invisible is
> not an option.

Ah. Too bad. Then you have to:
1) Raise the count to appropriate value.
2) Raise the recursion limit to appropriate value (3).
3) Raise the brightness to appropriate value (2.5, 3 or even more)
4) Be very patient.

Otherwise you could put a huge area_light right where the window is. This, with just
a bit of tweaking, should give you very soft shadows which, together with just a bit
of radiosity, might look nice nonetheless. This can be very slow too.

Anyway ambient 0.5 is pretty low for a skysphere. Use a real sky_sphere with a
gradient from white (bright white: rgb 1.25) to sky blue.

--
Jonathan.

Post a reply to this message

So no value in using scattering media to help "scatter" the sunlight around
the room...?

JP

Post a reply to this message