POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Licence question (example files) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:23:48 EDT (-0400)
  Licence question (example files) (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Andreas Zehender
Subject: Licence question (example files)
Date: 28 Apr 2002 07:35:56
Message: <3ccbde9b@news.povray.org>
Hi!

I am the author of kpovmodeler (a kde povray modeler, see
http://www.kpovmodeler.org)

I would like to include some povray example files in the distribution. Can I
import scenes from the povray scenes directory into the program and
distribute them?

The povlegal.doc says:
The user is also granted the right to use the scenes files, fonts,
bitmaps, and include files distributed in the INCLUDE and
SCENES\INCDEMO sub-directories in their own scenes.  Such
permission does not extend to files in the SCENES directory or its
sub-directories.  The SCENES files are for your enjoyment and
education but may not be the basis of any derivative works.
[...]

I don't want to use the scenes as basis of new scenes but to demonstrate the
povray features and objects. The scenes (in our own file format, not the
povray code) will remain intact except a comment at the begin that this is
an imported version of a standard povray scene.

Regards, Andreas

 Andreas Zehender, Dipl. Ing. (BA)
 Student, 10th semester computer science
 http://www.azweb.de
 az### [at] azwebde | zeh### [at] kdeorg

> I am the author of kpovmodeler (a kde povray modeler, see
> http://www.kpovmodeler.org)
>
> I would like to include some povray example files in the distribution. Can I
> import scenes from the povray scenes directory into the program and
> distribute them?
>
> [...]
>
> I don't want to use the scenes as basis of new scenes but to demonstrate the
> povray features and objects. The scenes (in our own file format, not the
> povray code) will remain intact except a comment at the begin that this is
> an imported version of a standard povray scene.

I think converting the scenes into a different format and supplying them
with a program is legally similar to using them in own scenes, therefore
the cited restriction would apply.  If you want to use other sample scenes
and you convert them with a program you could bundle POV-Ray with
kpovmodeler and convert the scenes during installation (although i doubt
automatic conversion is possible with most scenes).

Note this is just my personal opinion.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,