POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Media and self-shadowing clouds Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  Media and self-shadowing clouds (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Chris Becker
Subject: Media and self-shadowing clouds
Date: 21 Mar 2002 21:56:07
Message: <3c9a9d47$1@news.povray.org>
Alright, here's what I can do with stacked planes:

http://www.csh.rit.edu/~topher/cloud.jpg

Great, except that it's very slow, memory intensive and you can see the
lines.

I've tried my best with media but with no success. I can get a sphere with
some white foggy stuff in it, but it isn't selfshadowing like the above is.
Plus, I can't get just a single cloud like I did above.

The way I did the above was I used the object pigment modifier with a sphere
and then just added turbulence with a high lambda to make it billowy. Is it
possible to replicate that picture but using media? Example code would be
very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Post a reply to this message

> The way I did the above was I used the object pigment modifier with a sphere
> and then just added turbulence with a high lambda to make it billowy. Is it
> possible to replicate that picture but using media?

Should be possible.

http://mitglied.lycos.de/lpvader/pov2html/pov2html.php?sourcefile=http://
www.hoogi.de/lutz-peter/extern/mediacloud.pov

(picture: http://www.hoogi.de/lutz-peter/extern/mediacloud.jpg)

By adjusting the scaling and turbulence you should be able to give it the
same shape as yours.

Lutz-Peter

Post a reply to this message

That's exactly what I needed. Thank you so much!