POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Realistic and Natural Perturbations in Tree Trunks Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:21:50 EDT (-0400)
  Realistic and Natural Perturbations in Tree Trunks (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: GrimDude
Subject: Realistic and Natural Perturbations in Tree Trunks
Date: 3 Jan 2002 15:33:08
Message: <3c34c004@news.povray.org>
I have toyed with the L-systems macros and tree includes, but none of them
accomplish what I am after. I don't really need an entire tree, but I would
like to achieve realism and I have an approach that I believe will work.

The macro systems are very good for creating shadow objects (objects that
will never actually be seen by the camera, but that produce shadows for the
scene), but even the best of them fail to make natural deviations in trunks
and boughs.

Very seldom in nature is a trunk/bough smooth and regular. You can imagine a
trunk may appear as a cone slowly dimishing in span as it rises. However,
there are irregularities in the span that are impossible to reproduce with
normal statements.

What I have in mind is creating an irregular trunk with a few visible boughs
and such. These will be supported with 'fill' shadow objects.

So, does anyone have any ideas on how to proceed? :)

GrimDude

Post a reply to this message

> The macro systems are very good for creating shadow objects (objects that
> will never actually be seen by the camera, but that produce shadows for
the
> scene), but even the best of them fail to make natural deviations in
trunks
> and boughs.
>
> Very seldom in nature is a trunk/bough smooth and regular. You can imagine
> trunk may appear as a cone slowly dimishing in span as it rises. However,
> there are irregularities in the span that are impossible to reproduce with
> normal statements.
>
> What I have in mind is creating an irregular trunk with a few visible
boughs
> and such. These will be supported with 'fill' shadow objects.
>
> So, does anyone have any ideas on how to proceed? :)

It may be slow but I would try it with one of this macros which create a
tree with cones and cylinders and instead of using this objects to make the
tree use just one isosurface.

Post a reply to this message