POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Raytracing of integrated circuit Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:24:55 EDT (-0400)
  Raytracing of integrated circuit (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Henrik Johansson
Subject: Raytracing of integrated circuit
Date: 30 Oct 2001 14:32:24
Message: <3bdf0048$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I'm raytracing an integrated circuit layout with metal isolated by oxide
layers on top of a silicon wafer. The oxide layers are planarized so the
metal layers will always have the same distance to the silicon regardless
of what might be below. However, the top oxide layer is not planarized so
this layer should follow the profile of the top metal layer.

Here is an ASCII-art sketch of the top layer:

      /-----------------.
_____/ |""""""""""""""|  `___________
_______|              |_____________
              Metal

My first solution was to make a heightfield of the chip without the top
oxide layer with Povray and then smooth it with HF-Lab. The problem with
this approach was that after smoothing the metal edges were visible through
the oxide.

The right thing to do it seems is to displace the heightfield in the
direction of the normal so the surface of the oxide will have a constant
distance to the surface below.

Now to my question. Can this be done in Povray? Or maybe in some
heightfield tool like HF-Lab.

Best regards,

Henrik Johansson