POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Country Grass Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:26:01 EDT (-0400)
  Country Grass (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Halbert
Subject: Country Grass
Date: 29 Jan 2001 22:54:17
Message: <3a763ae9$1@news.povray.org>
Hello, Didn't someone adapt the country grass macro to work with
heightfields last year? I have been looking, but if anyone posted the
source, I can't find it.
Thanks,

www.compudrivel.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Alan Kong
Subject: Re: Country Grass
Date: 30 Jan 2001 07:34:32
Message: <n0dd7t0p9ovbv02gucpss3b672avg47pln@4ax.com>
On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 23:00:28 -0500 Halbert wrote:

>Hello, Didn't someone adapt the country grass macro to work with
>heightfields last year? I have been looking, but if anyone posted the
>source, I can't find it.

  Tony[B] <ben### [at] catholicorg> was working on one. He posted an image
31-Dec-2000 in p.b.i. and a discussion followed. Might be WIP because I
don't see the source.

Yes, I found it now. I did manage finally to get the grass to grow on a hf.
Is it true that if the blades are copies of meshes they will consume less
memory? 40,000 blades seemed to be harder on my computer than I expected.

www.compudrivel.com

Alan Kong <ako### [at] povrayNO-SPAMorg> wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 23:00:28 -0500 Halbert wrote:
>
> >Hello, Didn't someone adapt the country grass macro to work with
> >heightfields last year? I have been looking, but if anyone posted the
> >source, I can't find it.
>
>   Tony[B] <ben### [at] catholicorg> was working on one. He posted an image
> 31-Dec-2000 in p.b.i. and a discussion followed. Might be WIP because I
> don't see the source.
>
> --
> Alan - ako### [at] povrayorg - a k o n g <at> p o v r a y <dot> o r g
> http://www.povray.org - Home of the Persistence of Vision Ray Tracer

Post a reply to this message

"Halbert" <hal### [at] earthcompudrivelcom> wrote in message
> Yes, I found it now. I did manage finally to get the grass to grow on a
hf.
> Is it true that if the blades are copies of meshes they will consume less
> memory? 40,000 blades seemed to be harder on my computer than I expected.

I've rendered 33,000,000 blades of grass using the mesh method and about
750,000 without (took 5 hours to parse)

So I recommend the mesh method!

Mick