POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : regular polyhedra as solids Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:13:39 EDT (-0400)
  regular polyhedra as solids (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Herman Serras
Subject: regular polyhedra as solids
Date: 17 Mar 2002 03:22:29
Message: <3C9452AC.3BEEE7D5@pandora.be>
In the binaries newsgroup often appear examples of the 5 regular
polyhedra (the Platonic solids). In most cases they are constructed as
the union or merge of triangles or polygons.
For some application I wanted to apply CSG (difference) on some of those
objects, but for a reason unknown to me this failed. I have the
impression that the union or merge of triangles or polygons doesn't
produce a solid.
Is this exact and if so what can be done to define those objects as
solids.
Thanks,

--
Herman Serras
Gent (Belgium)

Post a reply to this message

> In the binaries newsgroup often appear examples of the 5 regular
> polyhedra (the Platonic solids). In most cases they are constructed as
> the union or merge of triangles or polygons.
> For some application I wanted to apply CSG (difference) on some of those
> objects, but for a reason unknown to me this failed. I have the
> impression that the union or merge of triangles or polygons doesn't
> produce a solid.
> Is this exact and if so what can be done to define those objects as
> solids.
> Thanks,

Only objects with defined inside and outside can be used in CSG. Meshes,
triangles and polygons do not.

Have a look at 'shapes2.inc' for CSG-able versions of those shapes.  Note
that right now these shapes are unbounded so they render quite slow.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 13 Mar. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

"Herman Serras" <Her### [at] pandorabe> wrote in message
> For some application I wanted to apply CSG (difference) on some of those
> objects, but for a reason unknown to me this failed. I have the
> impression that the union or merge of triangles or polygons doesn't
> produce a solid.

You can try to use prisms instead.

Gleb