POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : optics and photons Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:18:45 EDT (-0400)
  optics and photons (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Paul Daniel Jones
Subject: optics and photons
Date: 25 Jan 2001 15:54:44
Message: <3A7092D8.7B3FE2F2@psu.edu>
ARGH!!!  I am trying to make a lens which will generate parallel beams
of light with a spotlight put at it's focal point. I have tried using
some formulae from my physics book, but just can't get it. Is there
anybody out there who could help me?

-paul

--
-------------------------------------------#
Paul Daniel Jones

http://research.chem.psu.edu/glassgrp/paul
--------------------------------------------#

Post a reply to this message

> ARGH!!!  I am trying to make a lens which will generate parallel beams
> of light with a spotlight put at it's focal point. I have tried using
> some formulae from my physics book, but just can't get it. Is there
> anybody out there who could help me?
>
> -paul
>
> --
> -------------------------------------------#
> Paul Daniel Jones
> 120 Chandlee Laboratory
> Penn State University
> 814-865-2090
> pdj### [at] psuedu
>
> http://research.chem.psu.edu/glassgrp/paul
> --------------------------------------------#

I can't get anything realistic with the spotlight.  Try putting a point
light source in a box with a circular shaped hole to make a light cone.

Dan Johnson

Post a reply to this message

> ARGH!!!  I am trying to make a lens which will generate parallel beams
> of light with a spotlight put at it's focal point. I have tried using
> some formulae from my physics book, but just can't get it. Is there
> anybody out there who could help me?

You want a parabolic mirror with a light at its focus, like in a
flashlight. I don't know how to find the focus of a parabola though, Warp
or somebody?

>ARGH!!!  I am trying to make a lens which will generate parallel beams
>of light with a spotlight put at it's focal point. I have tried using
>some formulae from my physics book, but just can't get it. Is there
>anybody out there who could help me?

Don't use a spotlight.

light_source {<9, 0, 0> rgb 1}

#declare Lens = difference {  // f=5 units
   sphere{0,2.5}
   box{<0,-3,-3>,<3,3,3>}
   texture{T_Glass1}
   interior{ior 1.5}
}

object {  //condensor, mak parallel beam
   Lens
   photons {
      photons_pass_through
   }