POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : advanced question.... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:29:43 EDT (-0400)
  advanced question.... (Message 11 to 18 of 18)
From: Paul Daniel Jones
Subject: Re: advanced question....
Date: 28 Oct 2000 13:10:16
Message: <39FB08CA.EDDD5CC8@psu.edu>
heigh! so I kant spel. wat of it?

--
-------------------------------------------#
Paul Daniel Jones

http://research.chem.psu.edu/glassgrp/paul
--------------------------------------------#

Post a reply to this message

From: Paul Jones
Date: 28 Oct 2000 14:28:27
Message: <39FB19E7.E1E958B8@psu.edu>
thanks....

-paul

--

--------------------------------------------------}
Paul Daniel Jones

pdj### [at] psuedu
http://research.chem.psu.edu/glassgrp/paul

       C            The way is near, but men
     // \           seek it afar. It is in the
    N    N          easy things, but men seek it
    |    ||         in the difficult things.
    C    C          -Menicius
     \\  /
--------------------------------------------------}

Post a reply to this message

From: Margus Ramst
Date: 28 Oct 2000 19:16:37
Message: <39FB5039.6328D045@peak.edu.ee>
Ken wrote:

> It could be done if true displacement mapping were added to the program.
> Not impossible but difficult to code and yes it is expensive processor
> wise.

However, "true displacement mapping" as used in practice, involves tessellating
the primitive and displacing the resultant mesh.
The way I understand it, performing non-uniform transformations (including
displacement mapping) on a mathematical primitive would require finding the
intersection of the primitive and a curved ray - often impossible for all
practical purposes.

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee

> > It could be done if true displacement mapping were added to the program.
> > Not impossible but difficult to code and yes it is expensive processor
> > wise.
> >

> However, "true displacement mapping" as used in practice, involves tessellating
> the primitive and displacing the resultant mesh.
> The way I understand it, performing non-uniform transformations (including
> displacement mapping) on a mathematical primitive would require finding the
> intersection of the primitive and a curved ray - often impossible for all
> practical purposes.

I'll bet Ron Parker could code it. Ron Parker can code anything if
he sets his mind to it.

> I'll bet Ron Parker could code it. Ron Parker can code anything if
> he sets his mind to it.

Or Nathan Kopp. And if they work together on it... :-)

--
Christopher James Huff

<><

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 28 Oct 2000 21:22:30 -0700, Ken wrote:
>I'll bet Ron Parker could code it. Ron Parker can code anything if
>he sets his mind to it.

I'm more of an idea rat...

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.

Post a reply to this message