POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : When is the color matrix applied ??? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:33:43 EDT (-0400)
  When is the color matrix applied ??? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Jan Walzer
Subject: When is the color matrix applied ???
Date: 10 Jul 2000 14:38:20
Message: <396a181c@news.povray.org>
Hi all...

I realized that normally, before a traced ray is displayed on
screen it may have any color, not only in the interval between
[0...1] but also a color like <-20,0,20> (if using negative
lightsources or such colors of a pigment). I think it is computed
as a real-number and when it schould be displayed it is clipped
to the interval [0..1] and then mapped to our visible 256 Colors
for each channel...

I read something about a colormatrix that is available in MP, and
I would know, when it is applied to a ray... If it is applied,
before the clipping, there would be nice effects available...
I would hope so, but I think it is applied in the postprocess,
when the ray-values are already clipped, and so some information
would be lost ...

Hmmm ... am I right ???

--

 ,',    Jan Walzer      \V/  http://wa.lzer.net     ,',
',','   student of      >|<  mailto:jan### [at] lzernet ',','

Post a reply to this message

<wal### [at] informatikuni-hallede> wrote:

> I read something about a colormatrix that is available in MP, and
> I would know, when it is applied to a ray... If it is applied,
> before the clipping, there would be nice effects available...
> I would hope so, but I think it is applied in the postprocess,
> when the ray-values are already clipped, and so some information
> would be lost ...

Yes and no. It is applied in the post_process stage, but it uses
non-clipped color values. You can clip the colors yourself though, using
the clip_colors post_process filter.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/