POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : 3D-to-2D-transformation Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:23:09 EDT (-0400)
  3D-to-2D-transformation (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Marc Koester
Subject: 3D-to-2D-transformation
Date: 12 May 2000 15:11:07
Message: <391c574b@news.povray.org>
Dear readers and writers,

I very hope that you can help me, because I develope in a project which must be ready
within 2 days.
It would give me a very happy smile if you could try to help me, please.

The matter is quit simple, but the solution is difficult:

An advertisment-paper must be dropped on a globe-building (globe1.jpg).

1. step:
To render the prints, I need to map a 2D-texture (globe3.jpg) to a sphere (spherical
mapping).

The printer is able to print long stripes (about 2meter width,30meter height),
which will be layed over the building. The result is globe2.jpg.

2. step:
After mapping I need to cut and re-map the sphere into 2D-stripes from pole to pole to
get printable.
So I have to transform 36 stripes from 3D into 2D-print-textures.

Please help me in step 2:
How do I re-map the 3D-texture into 2D-stripes and which is the best software to
achieve this task?
So you know of any good tutorials on internet which covers my questions?

Thank you very much for your time !!

Aachen, Germany

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'globe1.jpg' (17 KB) Download 'globe2.jpg' (14 KB) Download 'globe3.jpg' (11 KB)

Preview of image 'globe1.jpg'
globe1.jpg

Preview of image 'globe2.jpg'
globe2.jpg

Preview of image 'globe3.jpg'
globe3.jpg

I'm thinking that you can use a basic paint program and use the selection
tool to cut out the strips out of the 2D texture image.

--
Mike

wk: mik### [at] pyxiscom  www.pyxis.com
hm: mwe### [at] sciticom  www.geocities.com/mikepweber

"Marc Koester" <mko### [at] gmxnet> wrote in message
> Dear readers and writers,
>
> I very hope that you can help me, because I develope in a project which
must be ready within 2 days.
> It would give me a very happy smile if you could try to help me, please.
>
> The matter is quit simple, but the solution is difficult:
>
> An advertisment-paper must be dropped on a globe-building (globe1.jpg).
>
> 1. step:
> To render the prints, I need to map a 2D-texture (globe3.jpg) to a sphere
(spherical mapping).

> The printer is able to print long stripes (about 2meter width,30meter
height),
> which will be layed over the building. The result is globe2.jpg.
>
> 2. step:
> After mapping I need to cut and re-map the sphere into 2D-stripes from
pole to pole to get printable.
> So I have to transform 36 stripes from 3D into 2D-print-textures.
>
> Please help me in step 2:
> How do I re-map the 3D-texture into 2D-stripes and which is the best
software to achieve this task?
> So you know of any good tutorials on internet which covers my questions?
>
> Thank you very much for your time !!
>

> Aachen, Germany

Post a reply to this message

> I'm thinking that you can use a basic paint program and use the selection
> tool to cut out the strips out of the 2D texture image.

However, keep in mind that you can't use rectangular strips to cover the surface
of a sphere. They must have a 'eye' shape, i.e. curved edges.

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee

| I very hope that you can help me, because I develope in a project which must be
ready
within 2 days.
| It would give me a very happy smile if you could try to help me, please.
|
| The matter is quit simple, but the solution is difficult:
|
| An advertisment-paper must be dropped on a globe-building (globe1.jpg).
|
| 1. step:
| To render the prints, I need to map a 2D-texture (globe3.jpg) to a sphere (spherical
mapping).

| The printer is able to print long stripes (about 2meter width,30meter height),
| which will be layed over the building. The result is globe2.jpg.
|
| 2. step:
| After mapping I need to cut and re-map the sphere into 2D-stripes from pole to pole
get printable.
| So I have to transform 36 stripes from 3D into 2D-print-textures.
|
| Please help me in step 2:
| How do I re-map the 3D-texture into 2D-stripes and which is the best software to
achieve
this task?
| So you know of any good tutorials on internet which covers my questions?
|
| Thank you very much for your time !!
|

| Aachen, Germany

Post a reply to this message