POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : poser textures Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:22:44 EDT (-0400)
  poser textures (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: kane
Subject: poser textures
Date: 7 May 2000 23:12:24
Message: <39163098@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to take a poser texture of the human face and apply that as an
image_map to the face of a blob human head.... is there an easy way to get
the face to do this?

Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: poser textures
Date: 8 May 2000 05:49:58
Message: <39168D53.4B1ED70D@inapg.inra.fr>
kane wrote:

> I'm trying to take a poser texture of the human face and apply that as an
> image_map to the face of a blob human head.... is there an easy way to get
> the face to do this?

Poser maps are "uv" maps, which means that they correspond to a precise 3D
shape, while the image mapping in regular POV is restricted to planes,
spheres, cylinders and toruses. So there's no easy way for a poser uv map,
made for the poser head geometry, to be perfectly mapped on a blob.
However, if you don't care about having the sides of the face not properly
mapped, you can do the following :
- render the head with an orthographic projection. That will give you a
template for the map.
- paste the poser map on the template and distort it if necessary. A least the
eyes, nose and lips should match... Paint the map around the head the same
colour as the head, so that you don't get unwanted pixels of an odd colour
flickering around at render time.
- back to pov, apply the map to the head. It's relatively straigthforward,
provided you have the precise coordinates of the rectangle containing the head
in a frontal view. Basically, if the head starts on (x1,y1) (bottom left) and
ends on (x2,y2) (top right), the mapping should be as follows :
pigment{image_map{png "poserhead" once} scale <x2-x1,y2-y1,1> translate
<x1,y1,0>}
Note : this only works if the head is not rotated, otherwise it could be much
more trickier.

G.