POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Need a dust devil Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:23:09 EDT (-0400)
  Need a dust devil (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Wil Hale
Subject: Need a dust devil
Date: 18 Apr 2000 08:55:57
Message: <38fc5b5d$3@news.povray.org>
Anyone have a suggestion for creating a realistic dust devil (those small
tornados that blow around trash and leaves in alleyways)?

I made a very good shape in sPatch but textureing it too look like it has
spinning particals in it has proven to be less than successful.  Here is
what I tried to use.

object{devil
        hollow on
       scale 1.02
       texture {
    pigment { rgbf <0.98, 1.0, 0.99, 0.75> }
    finish {
        ambient 0.1
        diffuse 0.01
        reflection .001
        ior 3
        specular .001
        roughness 9
    }
}normal {waves 0.5 scale 0.01 translate y*-50}}

If you replace devil with a warped cone you can get an idea of the effect I
got.

Any help prior to the 29th (wonder why?) would be appreacieated?

Thanks,
Wil Hale
wil### [at] cal-businesscom
www.cal-business.com/wil

Post a reply to this message

You'd almost need to go with a loose 'media' (MegaPov has 3 types altogether) because
you'd need to see portions
rotating through the 3D structure.  Oh, but does it have to be animatable, media could
turn out to be slow rendering
(did I even have to say that?).

Bob

"Wil Hale" <whh### [at] nvlarmymil> wrote in message news:38fc5b5d$3@news.povray.org...
| Anyone have a suggestion for creating a realistic dust devil (those small
| tornados that blow around trash and leaves in alleyways)?
|
| I made a very good shape in sPatch but textureing it too look like it has
| spinning particals in it has proven to be less than successful.  Here is
| what I tried to use.
|
| object{devil
|         hollow on
|        scale 1.02
|        texture {
|     pigment { rgbf <0.98, 1.0, 0.99, 0.75> }
|     finish {
|         ambient 0.1
|         diffuse 0.01
|         reflection .001
|         ior 3
|         specular .001
|         roughness 9
|     }
| }normal {waves 0.5 scale 0.01 translate y*-50}}
|
| If you replace devil with a warped cone you can get an idea of the effect I
| got.
|
| Any help prior to the 29th (wonder why?) would be appreacieated?
|
| Thanks,
| Wil Hale
| wil### [at] cal-businesscom
| www.cal-business.com/wil