POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Lathe and sor splines question Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:27:14 EDT (-0400)
  Lathe and sor splines question (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: Nieminen Juha
Subject: Lathe and sor splines question
Date: 12 Mar 2000 08:00:15
Message: <38cb94de@news.povray.org>
The lathe object can use linear, quadratic, cubic and bezier splines. The
SOR object uses some unnamed spline type.
  I have some questions.

  Suppose that I want to draw (just in a plain 2D graphic window) a qudratic,
cubic or bezier spline given the control points.
  Can someone tell me the algorithm used to calculate the curve for each type
of spline? Preferably I would like to get all the points that will form a
contiguous curve in the drawing bitmap (no gaps and no points drawn in the
same place) given the resolution of the drawing window, but also a less
perfect solution is ok.

  Also I would like an algorithm to draw the spline curve used by the SOR
object, given the control points.

These algorithms are rather involved,  you should check your library for
books on the subject.

In the one I have (CAD/CAM theory & practice, MCGraw-Hill 1991), the
mathematical explanation of splines and Bezier curves takes about 20
pages.  A bit too long for this ng.

--
Francois Labreque | The surest sign of the existence of extra-
     flabreq      | terrestrial intelligence is that they never

Post a reply to this message