POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Inset texture maps Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:23:56 EDT (-0400)
  Inset texture maps (Message 21 to 22 of 22)
From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: Inset texture maps
Date: 6 Apr 2000 09:20:21
Message: <slrn8ep413.bos.ron.parker@linux.parkerr.fwi.com>
On Thu, 6 Apr 2000 02:06:50 -0400, Mark Wagner wrote:

>Ron Parker wrote in message ...
>>>
>>>To what degree can you do it with me?  What is the IP address of the
>machine
>>>whose keyboard I'm sitting at?  The machine that's running this copy of
>slrn?
>>>What's the name of my ISP?  Why does using Linux and Netscape signify an
>>>anti-Microsoft bias?
>>>

>>Oh yeah, and what timezone am I in?
>

>The IP address of the computer that posted the message to the povray.org
>news server was 216.202.195.127

False.  That's the IP address of the proxy server I was using.  The
computer that was running slrn has an IP address of 10.0.0.2 (which
isn't routable) and the IP address of the machine whose keyboard I
was sitting at is 207.51.177.81.  In this case, I own the proxy server
(and it's configured securely) but it's possible, even likely, that
someone else is running an improperly configured proxy server that I
could have used to completely hide my IP address.

>Your ISP is Fort Wayne InterneT, LLC

True.  That was the easy one, just a quick whois at arin.net.  Again,
though, trusting the IP address.  (If I wanted to be a real pain, I
could mention that Fort Wayne Internet doesn't exist anymore, as they
were bought out by Skyenet.)

>You are in the time zone GMT -4 (Eastern Daylight Time)

False.  Fort Wayne is in GMT-0500, Eastern Standard Time, all year round.
The times on that message were inserted by the news server, which is in
the EDT zone.

Post a reply to this message

>>The IP address of the computer that posted the message to the povray.org
>>news server was 216.202.195.127
>
>False.  That's the IP address of the proxy server I was using.  The
>computer that was running slrn has an IP address of 10.0.0.2 (which
>isn't routable) and the IP address of the machine whose keyboard I
>was sitting at is 207.51.177.81

I know.  I said that that was the IP address of the computer that posted the
message to povray.org, not the computer that you were working at.

Mark