POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Parsing vs. Rendering Performance Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Parsing vs. Rendering Performance (Message 1 to 10 of 37)
From: Ken
Subject: Parsing vs. Rendering Performance
Date: 28 Dec 1999 22:56:48
Message: <38698759.90BDCD6B@pacbell.net>
Benchmark testing generaly relies on the amount of time it takes
to render a given scene. If one were to design a scene that was
parsing intensive rather than render intensive how well would it
evaluate a systems performance ?

For example I designed this scene to take exactly 30 sec. to parse
on my system. There is a camera added simply to ensure that it was
not pointed at any object and there are no lights added so that I
rendered a black screen only. Render time at 640x480 with aa = 0.3
was only 8 sec. which is inconsequential. A pigment was added to
the object to ensure that no CPU cycles were spent on sending no
pigment warnings messages to the message window for each object
created by the scene code.

camera {location < 0, 0, -3 >look_at  z*-6}

#declare A = 0;
  #while (A<29500)
    sphere{<0,0,A>,1 pigment{rgb 1}}
  #declare A=A+1;
#end

--
Wishing you Seasons Greetings and A Happy New Millennium !