POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : WAAH! Math help please!!!!! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:21:45 EDT (-0400)
  WAAH! Math help please!!!!! (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: David Fontaine
Subject: WAAH! Math help please!!!!!
Date: 19 Dec 1999 15:15:39
Message: <385D3AF4.827CE694@isd.net>
I need a shape formed by sweeping an arc around the axis going through
it's endpoints, in *standard* POV. With an isosurface, I can use the
torus equation (sqrt(x^2+z^2)+Major)^2+y^2-Minor^2=0, but when I expand
this to a quartic for normal POV it's a full torus instead of just the
arc sweep. See my post in p.b.i for the pics of the two different
methods.

--
http://thunder.prohosting.com/~davidf/
___     ______________________________
 | \     |_        <lfo### [at] isdnet>
 |_/avid |ontaine      <ICQ 55354965>

Post a reply to this message

"David Fontaine" <lfo### [at] isdnet> wrote:

> I need a shape formed by sweeping an arc around the axis going
through
> it's endpoints, in *standard* POV. With an isosurface, I can use the
> torus equation (sqrt(x^2+z^2)+Major)^2+y^2-Minor^2=0, but when I
expand
> this to a quartic for normal POV it's a full torus instead of just
the
> arc sweep. See my post in p.b.i for the pics of the two different
> methods.

This is a "spindle torus" and you want only the spindle.

Use "intersection" or "clipped_by" with an object that slices of
the rest (i.e. a sphere which has the distance between those arc
endpoints as diameter).

--
Gerald
ger### [at] aonat