POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : what's the power of povray? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:28:02 EDT (-0400)
  what's the power of povray? (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Eitan Tal
Subject: what's the power of povray?
Date: 24 Sep 1999 17:27:45
Message: <37EBEC79.C507053C@netvision.net.il>
how many objects povray can support in one scene?

I am making a whole city made out of cards (playing cards) - bridges,
seas, towers and so on. and I am getting worried when I see 800+ objects
and growing...

if 800 is for simple 8 floored house, what would happen about 20 floored
tower and a golden bridge 2 and the land itself? that would be
8,000,000+ objects

Post a reply to this message

> how many objects povray can support in one scene?
>
> I am making a whole city made out of cards (playing cards) - bridges,
> seas, towers and so on. and I am getting worried when I see 800+ objects
> and growing...
>
> if 800 is for simple 8 floored house, what would happen about 20 floored
> tower and a golden bridge 2 and the land itself? that would be
> 8,000,000+ objects

Pov can handle it if you have enough memory on your system. I have had
over 1,500,000 objects in one scene before and Pov had no problems
with it.

--
Ken Tyler
1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links:

>> how many objects povray can support in one scene?
>>
>> I am making a whole city made out of cards (playing cards) - bridges,
>> seas, towers and so on. and I am getting worried when I see 800+ objects
>> and growing...
>>
>> if 800 is for simple 8 floored house, what would happen about 20 floored
>> tower and a golden bridge 2 and the land itself? that would be
>> 8,000,000+ objects
>
>Pov can handle it if you have enough memory on your system. I have had
>over 1,500,000 objects in one scene before and Pov had no problems
>with it.

From a quick look at the source code, the limit at the moment appears to be
2,147,483,648 objects, however, this may just be a limitation in the
bounding box code.

Mark

Post a reply to this message

> 2,147,483,648 objects, however, this may just be a limitation in the
> bounding box code.

You may want to run on a 64 bit system then...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote in message
> In article <37ec5d43@news.povray.org> , "Mark Wagner"
> <mar### [at] gtenet> wrote:
>
> > From a quick look at the source code, the limit at the moment appears to
be
> > 2,147,483,648 objects, however, this may just be a limitation in the
> > bounding box code.
>
> You may want to run on a 64 bit system then...
>

>     Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

So that's why my scene won't render...I have 2,147,483,650 objects.....and
they are all critical to the scene.   ;-)

--Rainer

Mark Wagner <mar### [at] gtenet> wrote in message
> From a quick look at the source code, the limit at the moment appears to
be
> 2,147,483,648 objects, however, this may just be a limitation in the
> bounding box code.
>
> Mark

Post a reply to this message

> So that's why my scene won't render...I have 2,147,483,650 objects.....and
> they are all critical to the scene.   ;-)
>
> --Rainer

I need a larger monitor because I don't even have that many pixels on my screen.

--
Ken Tyler
1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links:

: From a quick look at the source code, the limit at the moment appears to be
: 2,147,483,648 objects

  I wonder why this and not 4,294,967,296.
  Is this another example of "should use unsigned integers because negative
numbers are never used, but signed integers are used instead because it's
easier it type 'int' instead of 'unsigned'"?