POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : circles in circles Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  circles in circles (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Rainer Mager
Subject: circles in circles
Date: 26 May 1999 05:03:12
Message: <374baac0.0@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

    I'm trying to make a simple cable macro. The macro is supposed to make a
straight cable from 2 given end points such that the cable is made up of a
number of given strands twisted smothly around one another. Also given to
the macro is the radius of the cable as a whole and the twistiness of the
strands. In use it looks like (will look like) the cable is solid even
though it is actuall a hollow tube. A very small image is attached showing
what a 7 strand cable should look like when viewed from the end (an unusual
place to view such a cable).
    The problem that I am having is calculating the radius of the small
inner strands. In the attached picture the inner strands are yellow and the
outer red is simply for reference and won't show up in a real cable. In the
image I guessed the yellow radii by trial and error just to make the
picture. In real use this needs to be an automatic calculation.

    I've been working on the math a lot and finally derived this formula:

z^2 = -8r^4 - (4R + 10)r^3 + (5R + 12R^2)r^2 - 6R^3r + R^4

Where z is a known constant that is related to the number of strands and R
is the given radius of the large red circle and r is the radius to be
calcuated. The problem is solving the 4th order polynomial. I also solved
the problem for the case where there are 3 strands only and got this:

r = R / (2 + ((2 - sqrt(3)) / sqrt(3)))

The problem with this is generalizing it to more strands.

Once I get the radius I need the part of twisting the strands is easy.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

--Rainer

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download '7.jpg' (4 KB)

Preview of image '7.jpg'
7.jpg

>     The problem that I am having is calculating the radius of the small
> inner strands. In the attached picture the inner strands are yellow and the
> outer red is simply for reference and won't show up in a real cable. In the
> image I guessed the yellow radii by trial and error just to make the
> picture. In real use this needs to be an automatic calculation.
>
>     I've been working on the math a lot and finally derived this formula:
>
> z^2 = -8r^4 - (4R + 10)r^3 + (5R + 12R^2)r^2 - 6R^3r + R^4
>
> Where z is a known constant that is related to the number of strands and R
> is the given radius of the large red circle and r is the radius to be
> calcuated. The problem is solving the 4th order polynomial. I also solved
> the problem for the case where there are 3 strands only and got this:
>
> r = R / (2 + ((2 - sqrt(3)) / sqrt(3)))
>
> The problem with this is generalizing it to more strands.
>
> Once I get the radius I need the part of twisting the strands is easy.
>
> Any ideas?

Well, I was thinking quickly about the circumference of the red and
yellow.
It seems there is  the following approximate relation:

   2.n.r = 2.pi.(R-r)

which is :
 the sum of the diameter (2.r) of the yellow circles (.n) is
equal to the perimeter (2.pi) of the circle going through all the
centers
of the yellow circles.
The difference between this circle and the red circle is the
radius of a yellow circle. (R-r)

 So the relation is :

 2.(n+pi).r = 2.pi.R

or

   r = pi.R/(n+pi)

Caveat : n should be big enough so you can consider a segment as an arc.
         (at least 6, so that make 12 segments ?)

calculation for n=6 give:

  r = R * .34365903524

instead of the awaited r = R / 3
only a 3 % error !!

> Thanks,
>
> --Rainer

>             Name: 7.jpg
>    7.jpg    Type: JPEG Image (image/jpeg)
>         Encoding: base64

Post a reply to this message

where n is the number of small circles, r the radius of the small circles
and R the radius of the big one.

for n=6 this gives r = R/3 which is true !

Philippe

<374baac0.0@news.povray.org>...
>Hi all,
>
>    I'm trying to make a simple cable macro. The macro is supposed to make
>straight cable from 2 given end points such that the cable is made up of a
>number of given strands twisted smothly around one another. Also given to
>the macro is the radius of the cable as a whole and the twistiness of the
>strands. In use it looks like (will look like) the cable is solid even
>though it is actuall a hollow tube. A very small image is attached showing
>what a 7 strand cable should look like when viewed from the end (an unusual
>place to view such a cable).
>    The problem that I am having is calculating the radius of the small
>inner strands. In the attached picture the inner strands are yellow and the
>outer red is simply for reference and won't show up in a real cable. In the
>image I guessed the yellow radii by trial and error just to make the
>picture. In real use this needs to be an automatic calculation.
>
>    I've been working on the math a lot and finally derived this formula:
>
>z^2 = -8r^4 - (4R + 10)r^3 + (5R + 12R^2)r^2 - 6R^3r + R^4
>
>Where z is a known constant that is related to the number of strands and R
>is the given radius of the large red circle and r is the radius to be
>calcuated. The problem is solving the 4th order polynomial. I also solved
>the problem for the case where there are 3 strands only and got this:
>
>r = R / (2 + ((2 - sqrt(3)) / sqrt(3)))
>
>The problem with this is generalizing it to more strands.
>
>Once I get the radius I need the part of twisting the strands is easy.
>
>Any ideas?
>

>Thanks,
>
>--Rainer

Post a reply to this message